2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are going down to port o'connor and cannot bring a boat (waiting for a new trailer for bay boat and selling offshore boat ['95 pro line listed in classifieds])

anybody know where the wife and I could fish without a boat?

any suggestions are appreciated

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
poc's tough w/o a boat. there's always the jettie on the far east side. but not many more options other than that. one side is the intercoastal the other is the bay. once again, tough spot w/o a boat. the south side of poc is all intercoastal. the north and east sides are wadeable, but not anything i'd wager on catching specks or reds.

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,409 Posts
There is a pier in Port O'Connor. I think it is the only public pier they have but it is on Park St. Last July 4th or so I limited on keeper trout on top waters off that pier in the morning. Had a really good time.

Nice pier and easy access.

Also there is a cove to the left of the pier if you follow the road on around called Boggy Bayou. I here it is an easy place to wade fish.

Here's a map -- hope it comes out OK. Let me know how you do if you try it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Boggy

Fishing out in front of Boggy Bayou is pretty easy wading, but once you venture inside its' opening to the bay, it lives up to its' name. Picture 2 foot of water and 1 1/2' of mud!! That being said, you can pick up RF in boggy itself, but you will "earn" them!!

You can also wade across the little cut coming out of Boggy and have a mile of beach front down to Broad Bayou--AKA 2 ond Boggy. It is also pretty "boggy" but marginally better than 1 st Boggy.

Later
R3F

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
We have caught tons of fish out in front of Boggy, and done well inside boggy too. Also done very well at the mouth of Broad Bayou, but its a good ways down there. the wading is really nice in front of Boggy Bayou, and there is great bar structure all the way down the Powderhorn Shoreline towards Broad. You can drive right to Boggy and start fishing. Here is a quick shot of the area. You can see the road that gets you out there. It confused me the first time i went out there, cause the road that takes you out there doesnt run right along the bay front, its back a ways.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
I haven't been down there in about a year or 2 but there used to be a boat that would launch from the TPWD office and take you over to mustang island. If you could hop on that then there is some great wade fishing out there.

Jason

·
Registered
270 Posts
Heck rent a boat from Clarks Marina.
We did last year when our boat was in the shop.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you!

thanks for all the advice.

i am so glad this board has such friendly and helpful folks. i used to read another fishin board that was full of slurs and potty talk.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
POC-no boat

I've been down here in POC since Wed afternoon. I picked up 7 trout yesterday evening, and another 5 tonight fishing off the small jetties about 1/2 - 2/3 out, on the channel side. Caught them on fresh dead shrimp under a rattling cork between 7-8pm. Saw a guy coming in at lunch who had been wading the front beach just before the mouth of Boggy Bayou. He had a good stringer too. The bay water had been really clear until this evening when the wind picked up, especially so for the channel side of the jetties. You could see every little pocket and weed patch on that flat between the jetty and channel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

well, the weather did not cooperate as i am sure was the case elsewhere.

never did get in a morning session as the nights before made it tough to get motivated when waking to rain.

we did however try the little jetties sat afternoon with jigs and did not get a bite. the few other people out did not appear to do much better

sun evening i waded in front of the boggy lake as well as up into the mouth, but only had a few small fish nibble on the end of the jigs. the water was pretty cloudy from all the storms, but i did see how that area has potential with the bars out in the bay and all the bait up in the lake. atleast i was out on the water for a real nice sunset.

again, thanks for the info and Happy 4th of July

1 - 12 of 12 Posts