2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First trip to Port O'conner was almost a Bust. Got in late Friday afternoon set up camp and got on the water in search of flounder; knowing the winds were to high for giggin we tried it anyway and came up empty but had a good time. Saturday morning got up early and got on the water armed with artificials. waded for the first half the day on the south shore of Espirte de Sante Bay and came up with four undersized trout and saw some flatties so we were gonna try there that night. Went back to camp and came up with a new plan and ate. Later ran to the jetties and came up empty again so we then went to the J hook and came up empty again. Tired and frustrated that evening the winds were to high again to even try and gig so we went back to camp for some rest. Sunday morning was alot better we waded pringle lake and caught one solid eating size trout and then drifted and produced a decent number of under sized Reds with no keepers. All in all Port O'conner was a great place and would try it again but this trip was a little rough. I seem to have a knack for catching undersized fish and was wondering if anyone could lend a hand in targeting some larger fish. Also helped a stranded boater that missed the channel marker a little they were stuck pretty bad but we got them out . Hope everyone had better luck than we did and tight lines to all

Patrick

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We stayed at Dolphins by thebay RV park wonderful nice people I Highly recomend them. We were the tenters there but it was fun and we did cover alot of water andfished very hard just maybe not the right water

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Poor week

We fished the week before you, NE winds two days and the catching was off -- more trout and reds on the backside of Lighthouse, some mangrove snappper around as well, some better trout still in the surf as well as mongo smacks. We quit the bay and went offshore -- lots of Ling , Kings , Cero at first rigs -- menhaden were the killer baits , even inshore, we did catch a LOT of slot reds offshore in 50' of water and some at the backside of the big jetties as well as outside barroom.

Think the whole two weeks was off somewhat -- runnin and gunnin the shell out in SA may have been good , we just didn't check.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dad and I went to POC Saturday and nearly caught our limits of reds (5) and one trout. We caught some good finger mullet, which there were plenty of swimming around, and fished the bottom. Fished sand pockets on a big grass flat. The action wasn't fast, but it felt nice getting on the water.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was in POC weekend of 9-26 also, with my bro-in-law and 12 of his employees. we managed almost 2 limits of reds and lots of span. macks. trout were hard to come by. even went to pringle and managed only 1 keeper trout. gonna try again this weekend, hope the wind lays down long enough to fish.

poc-ed

·
Banned
112 Posts
Fished Sunday (10/5/08) with a couple of buddies. Planned on a short day so we could get back for the game at 3. Started out making a few drifts in Pringle. We were a little lazy and stayed in the boat. We caught several small trout on each drift, with a few keepers and one keeper red thrown in. Ran out and over to one of the smaller back lakes and found a little better bite. Stopped fishing about noon, with 12 trout and 5 reds. Most of the trout were in the 16-18 inch range, and the reds were in the middle of the slot. Most all of the fish were caught on solid chartreuse spook jr.s, or chartreuse plastics. Just seemed to be the color for the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts