2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to haul up to Port O Connor this weekend, usually fish Rockport/Aransas area. Looking to fish Sunday, any idea how bad the boat traffic is this time of year? First time but looking forward to some change. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I usually fish the area more west of POC, but have the good fortune of a private ramp between POC and Seadrift. When we know we are going to be fishing the POC & West Matty Bay areas, we will schedule to fish Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Like said above, the hangover factor early on Sundays will lessen the stress as long as you get to the ramp early (before daylight). By Sunday at 2 or 3 in the afternoon, it clears out pretty good. Birds may be working good in the afternoons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually fish the area more west of POC, but have the good fortune of a private ramp between POC and Seadrift. When we know we are going to be fishing the POC & West Matty Bay areas, we will schedule to fish Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Like said above, the hangover factor early on Sundays will lessen the stress as long as you get to the ramp early (before daylight). By Sunday at 2 or 3 in the afternoon, it clears out pretty good. Birds may be working good in the afternoons.
Thank you for the insight. Any recommendations on what ramp I should use? Also should I follow the same patterns as I use down south? Looking to start on the flats early morning and as day passes look for birds and jetties if weather allows

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Thank you for the insight. Any recommendations on what ramp I should use? Also should I follow the same patterns as I use down south? Looking to start on the flats early morning and as day passes look for birds and jetties if weather allows
All the public boat ramps are crowded on weekends, but you may find less traffic at Charlies, on the end of Lane Road. Like I said, we don't have to use Charlie's ramp, but it's only a couple hundred yards away. It does get a little crowded now and then. A warning though; heading out into Espirito Santo bay from there, the cut has silted in and if you don't know what you're doing, you can get grounded. The alternative is to head south to San Antonio Bay. For what you seem to want to do, POC is probably your better option (jetties Pass Cavallo & West Matagorda) and I don't have any insight as to where you should launch to avoid crowds down there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Froggies is where we've always launched. It does get busy, but if you hit it at an "off" time, it's not too bad. Most folks move through there pretty efficiently though, even when it's busy. Just be ready to launch when you get in line; don't be "that guy" at that ramp. Worst part on a busy day is the LOOONG walk to/from the truck. And you pretty much need to have someone else with you since "courtesy docks" aren't really a thing there. Most folks will launch the boat with a separate operator, go park the truck while the boat lingers in the channel (watch out for barge traffic), then pick up the truck driver at the dock. Reverse order at EOD.

ETA: My wife always says "Okay, busy ramp, let's all put on our patience hat!" Sometimes I feel like a hat isn't enough coverage for me, I might need a "patience suit"! LOL!

Never launched at Charlies, but I'm likely to give it a try next time I'm down there. Just depends on where I'm headed to fish I guess...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts