2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out there late around 10am and water was nice and flat. Fished east of the community sand bar in about 2-3ft water. My friend lost 2 reds(25+) near the boat due to having old line in his reel. I managed to get a 18" speck and a 22" red. Also, caught some large skip jacks and some small trout but no hardheads. Fished live shrimp under Midcoast intincer, D.O.A shirmp and new penny Gulp under Midcoast Evolution and cut mullet under Midcoast outcast. All keepers were caught on live shrimp only. Those Midcoast corks cast like a dream, they are awesome. If anybody wants to try them, there should 2 of them on the road between port mansfield and Edinburg along with one TTK Red tamer II/okuma inspira and a Ugly stick intercoastal/okuma epixor. You can keep the corks and return the rods.:cry:

I wanted to try the jetties but didn't have the courage to venture out there. The wind was slow but don't have that much expirence behind the wheel. What is best at the jetties? Anchor up away from the rocks or drift? I don't have a trolling motor, so trolling along the rocks is not an option. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
The jetties are not that bad unless you go out too far. You can fish comfortably within about 150 yards of the mouth. I have fished their many times and right now is the time to be out there, the redfish are biting heavily over in that area right now.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Anchor on the North gulf side of the jetties. Get real close to the rocks. The key is to fish right where the rocks bottom out to the sand. In other words where the rocks end and the sand begins. Most people fish to far away from the rocks. Check the tide and see how your boat is drifting by pulling up close to the rocks and drift for a minute. We normally come around the North jettie and come down the side about 20 yards and anchor real close to the rocks. Cast along side the rocks, in other words cast up and down the jettie do not cast out away from the rocks but along side them. Use cut mullet for red fish.

If sand trout is the game pull out farther from the rocks and look in about 22 -25 ft of water and mark the sand trout on your graph. Use small shrimp, small pieces of mullet, squid and even small lures such as spoons. As far as anchor rope figure 5-7 times the depth of water depending on current and sea conditions. Most people do not have enough anchor rope nor due they use the rule of thumb for anchoring of 5-7 times the depth.

Good luck and catch a lot of fish! We sure have!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts