2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lower Keys ShallowSport Club Members: 1
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm in need of a little help. I had a last minute invite to go down to Port Isabelle this Thursday through Sunday, which of course, I jumped on. Does anyone know any good spots to walk in and wade down there? Any info at all would be appreciated. I've fished the lower laguna a few times, but it was always in a boat. Thanks in advance. Oh by the way, any suggestions on party boats down there would be appreciated as well. I've heard the offshore fishing is fantastic.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
You might try Murphys or Jims Pier. They both run party boats and pretty much fish the same spots. I'd go with the murphys just because i know them. There are several places to wade fish down there. The surf is good this time of year if it's flat. And the jetties are good at times, As for fishing the bay i'd hit the convetion center on the island or on Hwy 100 between Port Isabel and Laguna Heights. You can also walk in off of holley beach but, i havent been down in that area in over 7yrs. Here is a pic i put together for another guy askin the same questions.
Spi: http://www.uberstorage.com/tex/spi.jpg
PI: http://www.uberstorage.com/tex/pi.jpg
Later, Hop

·
Registered
192 Posts
Spi/captain Murphys

Just went down this past weekend. Reports of Mangrove snapper at the jetty but I had no luck other than piggys for bait. Saturday was nice but the fish did not cooperate. Fished hard, as usual, and caught 7 keeper red snapper between two of us ( no sows with the best fish about 7 lbs.). I did get lucky and also got two Dorado about 10 lb. each. They do run a good business and are friendly and fair. If you are a true fisherman you know you will not catch them everytime, no matter how good the conditions are! Ask for Mona at Captain Murphys, she IS the boss! Jaime is the deckhand and he is a good guy. Best of luck!

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
No problem..

Mona runs the office side. The rest of the family helps out. Steven is her son and he runs one of the boats. When i lived down there i supplied them with ice for their charters. I use to work for ice express. They leased one of our coolers to store bait in.. Lemme tell you. that was the worse place to deliver ice ever. It's hard to imagine but as soon as you walked into the cooler you reaked of dead squid! The smell would stick to your clothes. That was allways the last stop of the day for me. I'd usually make the new guys stand in the cooler while i pitched ice from the truck.. haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts