2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me and my bro left late and cleared the jetties by 11:00am. We were gonna make our 1st stop at double yellow and try and pick up some snaps and whatever else and proceed further out. We trolled the rig several times with no hookups. Tied up and started fishing. Bro was feeling bad so he layed down. i was manning 5 rods. Spent a while trying to hook 2 big lings around the boat but not interested. Hooked a big lane snapper. Started chumming and saw the kings show up on the finder. 5 mins later freeline started screaming, bro woke up and gaffed a decent king. Noticed the back of the boat a little low after that and just thought it was us in the back corner. Decided to open the hatch because the water was up the the motor cowling. The whole rear of the boat full of water, oh ****! Hit the bildge and nothing, have 2 brand new pumps, second oh ****! Told bro we got alot of water unhook we need to get on plane and see if we can get some water out. I got out the manuel bildge pump but was exhausted after 15 mins of pumping. Prepared for the worst put on pfd's and got out ditch bag. Didn't know whether to stay close to rig or try and run in and see if we could loose some water. Radioed on channel 16 of our position and #'s. A boat responded and relayed it to CG. Told us to keep in contact and monitor the sitiuation and they had CG boat to our East already in water, time to intercept 20 mins. They intercepted us 12 miles off double yellow and followed us to Port A jetties where another CG boat took over. Lost some water on the way in still holding 30 to 50 gallons of water in boat. They followed to Key Allegro and we loaded up on trailer. Could see no leaks. It has to be a locker box hose or rear drain hose leaking into the boat.

It was a hairy situation. Probably would have felt different if we weren't by the rig in open water, we thought of leaving the boat worst case senario and getting on the rig. Next is a lift raft after this excursion. Glad we both made it home. And words cannot express the appreciation of the Coast Guard. These guys responded quickly and we very professional. I thanked all of them and wish I could take em out to dinner. Thanks CG.

Attachments

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
scratch my offer of a baloney sambidj for a ride..... ;)

glad to hear y'all're okay AND the boat too

well....... i guess the boat's sorrrrrrrrta okay
at least ya still got it!!!

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
WOW! We are glad that y'all made it home safe and that your boat made it home with you. Sounds like them Coast Guard guys were on the ball.

Reactions: Hotrod

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot guys. It really opens your eyes up to what can go wrong quickly. I was stressed and moving quickly, but like ya'll said have a plan and think it through. Best thing to do next time is make contact with someone and immediately give your location and problem. Bill, still got a sandwich for ya. Found the problem, pressure tested all drain tubes and wash down lines, the locker box drains and no leaks. Filled the boat with water and nada. Last thing was I plugged the drain holes by the motors where I have a removable panel with 2 screw off caps to access the bildge pumps. Filled with water and huge water leak into the hull. Going to recaulk and seal with new caps and should take care of the problem. Those woods plugs don't look like a bad idea. Be carefull out there.

·
Registered
693 Posts
fill the boat with water from the inside on dry land.. look for where it is leaking out.... VOILA!!

Gald to see you made it back!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts