2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished with a group on the Pelican with capt John Brennan on Tuesday. What a trip- good crew, Perfect Weather, great capt and crew, great fishing.

The saga began on Monday afternoon at the docks. The monday charter had something like 25 BFT, lots of AJ, and limits of 'just keeper' red snapper and b-liners. That crew looked experienced- most guys had at least 2 outfits, some as many as 4. Lots of jigging rods and high dollar jigs.

My host and I were really excited about the prospect of tuna and capt said be there at 5 am for an earlier start. I hardly slept.

We left port on time- 2 1/2 hours later we catch up to some shrimp boats. Water was blue and CALM (1 foot seas). We chum the first boat, nada, second boat bonita are everywhere. Third boat, chum, bonita, hey what is that dark black fish.... BFT ON! Shortly thereafter I land my first Tuna! I was using a heavy action ugly sick with a speedmaster reel, 40 lb big game.

Next boat- bonita and more tuna... dark fish , bite, hook-up .... Fish On, and on , and on.... oh shoot this sunofogun is going to spool me. He unhooked with about 30 yards of line left on the reel. Something hit the line at 200 yard mark- which left a 2 foot oily scuff mark- so I used boat tackle the rest of the day. We continued to chum the boats, catch tons of bonita with a few tuna.

We took a quick break to catch snapper and b-liners- nothing large.

More of the same in the afternoon- chum bonita and a few tuna. I had two more bite and not hook-up.

We made a quick drift for kings and caught about 1/2 limit. It was so glassy the boat wouldn't drift. Several bay center console boats were around us trolling.

All in all an awesome trip. I learned a ton. Next trip will include a shimano tld and Fluorocarbon leaders!!!!!

I want to thank everyone that provided so much valuable information through PMs.

BC

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Capt Brennan knows his stuff! Nice job on the fish!! for jiggin , you might want a faster retrieve ratio on your reel than what the TLD offers. torium 20 is a decent entry level jiggin reel. match than on an OTI 6 foot jiggin stick... TLD is a good basic entry level chunking reel.

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Nice trip.we were eating next door at the resturant and saw a nice load of tuna come in..Capt. and crew must be on the fish..

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Excellent report. Hope to catch my 1st Tuna also next week also, I'll be down there and too have gotten alot of info through PM's.

·
Banned
726 Posts
Pic from 1 week before

What a difference a week makes! This is just one week before right after shrimp season started. All the shrimp boats we hit this day were in siesta mode, no shrimping or culling going on. But the big red snappers were! And we finished our day of fishing the last three hours inside state waters, hence the 4 limit each of snappers.

BB

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts