2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting ready for a Port Aransas outing as soon as a good three-day weather-forecast comes around. I am considering one day fishing out toward the Aransas Liberty ship reef 802 and then on further Southeast to the State reef #MU828.

I have never fished these two locations out of Port Aransas and I wondered if any of you readers ever fish these two locations and if the fishing is any good there. Considering the regular wave direction offshore, the trip back to Port A. would be smooth going with the waves.

Please let me know if any of you ever fish these two reefs and what the fishing is like there. -Thanks, Bert

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I fish them regularly and the fishing in the summer is pretty good there. If you have the range though I would venture out to southern or hospital rocks. They are both about 15 miles further SE. But the two reefs you stated are great for bottom fishing and drifting and trolling. I will probably be down there those first three good days also, so let us know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bert,

I too fish the reefs regulary (mostly Liberty) and concur with Argo. When the blue water moves over the reefs then the catching is plentiful. On Liberty I have caught Red, Lane, and Gray Snapper as well as Ling, King and Dolphin. I just fished the 828 Reef a couple of weeks back for the first time as it too was good, but not as good as I bet it will get in the summer. I caught Warsaw grouper, Red and Vermillion Snapper and AJ. I reccommend drifting over the reefs as you will increase your chances of hooking larger fish that are holdin away from the structure and ALWAYs have a flat line out. Never know when King or Dolphin when meander through. Hope this helps.

Junior

Semper Fi
!us

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the info. I loged the coordinates into the GPS today and am now ready to give it a try. I'll let yall know how we do. Thank you again for the input.

-Bert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts