2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out Saturday with Snagged on was supposed to be 1 to 2 ft. seas with an 8 second interval. Well the wind picked up over night and changed direction. Things were a little sporty coming out of the jetties as usual and I had second thoughts on making the run that Snagged and I had planned on. We decided to stick with the plan and head to the rigs off Bob Hall Pier. We stopped by a couple of rigs real close in to try to pick up some bait with no luck. A few birds working but nothing worth getting excited about. We passed the Fish Pass jetties, JP Luby, and then headed to Bob Hall Pier. The pier was supposed to be closed for renovations but there were people fishing so we decided to hit the rigs. I told Snagged I bet you there would be some Kayakers on the first rig and sure enough there were two guys there fishing. Then I started seeing mackerel jumping and told Snagged "Did you see that sailfish"!! He said yeah and Snagged proceeds to catch a small mackerel and hands it to me and says put that on your hook. Ok, so I tossed a popper around a bit but the mackerel went deep, then my TLD25 went off. Slow and steady the fish moved, I tightened the drag a bit and asked Snagged to get my fighting belt and the line broke. It was frayed and we suspect it was the sail we saw feeding on the mackerel. What a rush!!! We fished the rest of the rigs with no luck. We went back to the first rig to do some drifting and Snagged had something big cut through his mono leader. He switched to steel but no takers. I marked a spot on the GPS that was on the way back and we ate lunch cruising slowly and talking about the sailfish that got away. We came across two rigs on the way and decided to stop and take a look. I caught a Red Snapper just shy of the limit so we decided to tie up and try a bit. Lots of fish early on but no keepers. Caught a sand trout and flatlined him off the back. Nothing. Snagged had the fish of the day with 20+ Kingfish!! First King caught on the boat and first fish I got to gaff. He thrashed around a bit until I whacked him a few times with a club and into the fishbox he went. Fishing slowed and we started seeing whitecaps so decided to head in. Stopped a few times when we saw birds working but no more Mackerel to show for it. Another great day on the water with Snagged, not too many fish but seeing a Sailfish up close made the day. We never hit any bluewater but had a great time out there. Until next time, tight lines and make it back safe. SM :)

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Just want to add that I got a big charge out of Bryan's look when he had that fish on. We've got another rig spotted, but it's not on the maps so we'll have to try to get a couple of compass reading to locate it.
There are a couple of wrecks further south and another rock pile about another 25 miles away that may hold some good fish.
We tried the gallon jug method of tieing to the rigs and both like it better than a rig hook.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amen To That

Yes the milk jug method is the way to go. Much easier to do and you don't have to get that close to the rig. We saw a Boston Whaler at the docks that had a damaged T-Top that was the result of a collision with a rig. Also I noticed that some of the rigs that we fished were corroding and near collapse. So please be careful and mindful when fishing these structures. No fish is worth a human life! SM :)

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Sounds like a great day and I bet that chicken lunch was excellent. You made the right call not going out to Southern, it was a long sporty ride and the fish weren't home.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milk Jug Method

I bought a rig hook that came with only 25 feet of rope and sometimes it is a pain in the *** to hook up to a rig and slides around alot. Get 100 ft. of the cheapest rope or in Snagged's case find some lying on the beach from a shrimper. Take a milk jug and fill it about a 1/4 full of water. Tie the rope to the jug and get close to a rig and toss it over one of the cross beams. Make sure you are down current of the rig and the jug will float a little ways from the rig. Using a rope hook pick up the jug and drift away from the rig and tie off. Simple, cheap and effective. If the jug gets stuck or something just have a backup and cut the rope. Alot better than losing a $75 rig hook.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Thanks for the report guys. Man I really need to go fishing, bad......................later,Dave

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Blue Water Ho said:
Thanks for the report guys. Man I really need to go fishing, bad......................later,Dave
Come on down! The fishing is always great....The catchin might not be so good, but it is still better than the tube.
Seriously, your close enough to come down for a day trip even if it's just a headboat for a bluewater fix. For about the same amount of money you can spend a couple of days on the beach.
Fishing is good for your mental well being, other than your crazy to do it in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.