2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get an offshore fishing trip planned for the weekend of July 11. I have extensive offshore knowledge in the Freeport area, but none for Port Aransas. I usually will fish 5-20 miles offshore mainly targeting Kings, Ling, and Dolphin. My usual practice is to catch 3-4 dozen live mullet and get several boxes of cigar minows. I know that the Kings in Port A are fond of Ribbon Fish. Is this necessary with Live mullet? Also can anyone give me a heading or website with headings to get to double yellow. I will be running a 23 foot Kenner with a 225 optimax and 90 gallons of fuel so have a very good range for the misquito fleet. Any help for other good rigs or information would be greatly appreciated. Even any Snapper spots would be helpful. Feel free to PM to keep it a secret.

Last trip out of Freeport last year same time, Parked at one rig about nine miles out and went through two boxes of cigar minnows with about a 75% hookup ratio on the kings between three people. I don't fish enough offshore to spend the money on a gps or maps.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Double Yellow

For heading and coordinates to various structures out of Port A, check Wahoo Bob's website (www.wahoo-charters.com)

Normally by that time of year kingfish are abundant at the jetties. At the end of the South Jetty and along the color change have been good producers in the past.

The Deep Sea Roundup is that weekend so you will have LOTS of company where ever you go.

Scott

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I would not go out without a gps, radio or compass as backup. DY is pretty much due east from the jetties about 20 miles. if you take any due ENE heading you will run into many rigs at 20 miles but if you just want to fish for kings go to the standpipes at 5 miles ESE, you can see them from the jetty and troll figure 8s around them. You will have all the kings you want. Also hit the anchored ships. Buy a topshot for $10 and go to liberty ships, you might get lucky with a sail and you can also get some snaps there. Good luck with the crowd though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.