2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First trip offshore for us on the new Grady. Boat performed very well but the fishing was less than spectacular. Started trolling a broken weedline only 12 miles out and were catching numerous chicken dolphin (none big enough to keep) when something larger hit a Rapala on a Penn 113. Was a nice surprise to catch a 25 to 30 lb wahoo in only 92 feet of water. We spent the rest of the day fishing behind numerous shrimp boats and trolling around multiple rigs in beautiful blue water full of flying fish............ but caught nothing else in the process. Stopped at the standpipes on the way back-in to catch some "easy" kingfish and joined numerous other boats in the area unable to get a bite. At least the one stray wahoo salvaged the day. Now that we have the initial offshore trip under our belt, we will feel much more comfortable heading further and further offshore with the new boat..............Baker here we come........

Islander

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I was out of portA also on Sunday though and there was no weedline within 27 miles or so. The radio told a bad story of a slow fishing day. The boat ran smooth and we had a mix snapper bag of 10 various species all over 18", one large cuda and a king from about a mile off the standpipes on the way in, I was avoiding the crazy trolling/drifting/tiedoff/anchored traffic that was all around them. Unfortunately I ran through something on the way in, in the intercoastal and about 2 minutes later all the bells and whistles went off and the engine killed off. Waterpress and temp gauge went off. I had a nice fellow tow me to the dock and put the boat on the trailer for the ride home. Fortunately it died just outsied the marina jetties and not 25 miles out. Anyhow, I started it up today and it sounds like **** but has good waterpressure still. Wierd, Will take it to the mechanic this week and hope for the best. This after I just had the work done to the engine a couple weeks back. At least we had a decent catch for the day.....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Islander, congrats on the new boat. we had a short trip sunday at Port A found some really nice kings, 1 over 40 lbs. Looking forward to going back a fish the king tournament out of Aransas Pass in 2 weeks.

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts