2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FISH ON!!!!!!
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it poured all the way to port a from houston and was thinkin' about just drinkin' this weekend and wishin bout fish but the weather was great on saturday. the 3 to 5 footers and 40 % t-storms turned out to be 1 to 3's in the morning then flat as the day went on, combined with all the sun that you wanted. what a goof up by the weather people. anyway, hooked up with 2 aj's to about 30 lbs on live piggies around the 26's, then saw a floating piece of wood and trolled skirted ballyhoo's and had a 50 lb+ 'hoo light up the port bait. the hooter came out of the water at full speed and crashed it! it was awsome actually seeing the fish hit the bait at that speed. he came un-buttoned after about a 20 min. fight. i was upset but was great to actually see the hit. Then trolled up to a HUGE group of weeds and found some pretty good sized dorado hanging around them willing to take free lined piggies. landed 2 bulls around the 18 to 22 lbs range. then decided to see if we could hook up some chicken's on top with a bay rod. we landed about 15 all on topdogs and 12 lb. test. it was a blast to watch them hit the hell out of the bait and if one missed it, there was another to hit. actually had 2 hook up on the same bait so that was a pretty good fight. i then caught a tripletail on topwater that went about 8 lbs. so that was a pretty cool way to end a great day. i have never heard of them to take a topwater, usually just shrimp and baits. To top it off, we ran around 30 mph. back to the port. i was very happy with the outcome of the trip considering the conditions during the week and what all of the reports were saying. Total for the day: 2 aj's on live piggies, 2 dorado on free lined piggies, 15 chickens all on chrome/blue topdogs, and 1 'hooter hook up on skirted ballyhoo with chart/green little bubbler. Tight lines and hope that every that decided to go off did great.

FISH ON!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love those chickens!

I keep a light weight fly rod (like you would use for fresh water trout) and those chicken dolphins sure do put on a show. They jump around and tail walk just like their big brothers. It is alot of fun!

Andy

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
from what I understand they are about 5 miles out past double yellow. Guessing that puts it at 26 miles out. I am going to try for the rigs past double yellow on thursday and troll a bit, either that or head out to southern depending on waves.

·
FISH ON!!!!!!
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 26's are past dble. yellow. they are actually a whole group of rigs that are out that range. with the seas small this week should be a HUGE weed line out there.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I was out just past the 26s on the 21st of this month. We found a killer weed line and nailed a 34 lb bull, along with two other good dolphin. I like to fish for sails around that area too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts