2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out of Port A Thursday morning clearing the jetties at about 9:30am, just my cousin and me on his first trip offshore. First stop was Mustang Island Reef. We set up drifting ribbon fish while drifting sardines on the bottom. We caught lots of red snapper (about 3-7lbs all vented and released) and a few smaller mangrove snapper along with a good sized shark and 1/2 of a good sized king fish. We trolled some russelures over the wrecks at this spot and never got a bite.
We decided to head on out towards Big Southern looking for weedlines and blue water since the spot we were at was still green water. At about 5 miles before reaching Southern we came across a decent rip where the water turned blue (exactly where Hilton's satelite imagery showed the color change). There were a few patches of weed about 12'x12' with tons of baitfish underneath. We tried fishing and chumming around the weeds but never got a bite and never saw anything besides the bait. Moved on out to Southern and saw lots of big Jack Crevalle and Barracuda in the water. I was hoping to get on some amberjack so we tied to the buoy on top of the old rig and dropped down with some good sized perch. After fishing this spot for over an hour and only catching one Barracuda, we moved on heading back towards shore.
Next stop was the Mustang Island Liberty ships. This spot was just like Mustang Island Reef.. every drop produced a good sized snapper. We also caught a few Kingfish drifting ribbons here. We then moved on to check some state water spots. We hit a few wrecks and rigs with by far the most productive being one of the standpipes just outside the jetties!! If your heading out the Port A jetties and look south, this is the 3rd rig south of the shipping lane. We tied up here and decided to use up our last few perch, hopping to hook into a bull red or something. Instead, we got into a bunch of Ling. We caught probably 10 or 12 ling with only 2 being keepers. The biggest was my largest ling to date. He wasn't very long but I tried weighing home on a scale that goes up to 30lbs and he maxed it out. I'd guess him to be a solid 35-40lbs. We also caught a decent kingfish and lost a few others at this rig.
It ended up being a great day! Debri left over from the hurricane was almost non-existant. I think we saw 3 small pieces of plywood and 1 plastic hard hat the entire day. The water was really dirty inside of about 30 miles.

Attachments

·
The Antaginator
5,963 Posts
Man i miss fishing offshore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts