2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Site Sponsor 2006>
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went straight to Southern and could not find anything but bonitas, tried quite a few pulling shrimpers for tuna but could find them so headed south to Ranzells and caught 5 or 6 16 inch snapper with quite a few smaller ones. We then found one lonely shrimper pulling and we caught 1 yft and 1 bft and quite a few bonita. I wish I could figure out how to get past the bonita and get to the tuna, it is frustrating to see good tuna below the bonita and not be able to hook up. Headed home with a beam sea and got soaked all the way home. All in all a good trip but not a lot of fish.

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Any size to your YF?? Did you try trolling too or just chunk?? It sounds like you stayed persistant til you found the tuna.

·
Site Sponsor 2006>
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We trolled for about a hour on Southern with an assortment of "tuna lures" but caught bonita, We tried a diamond jig once but was not successful. I am going to try the diamond jig next sunday on the pulling boats and see if I can catch some yft below everything else. Our yft was only 25 or 30 lbs but did have one spool a spinning reel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
>>I wish I could figure out how to get past the bonita and get to the tuna,

Try chunks of bonito for bait. Start with chunks about the size of silver dollar and increase the size until the bonito stop biting. A 40# YFT will not have any problem taking a chunk as big as your 3 fingers.

If the tuna are keyed in on the cull they may not bite the chunks and dead white trout, croakers, etc. or small live bait (pinfish, hard tails) may be the ticket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts