2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain exactly what this is? I have a used Explorer 190 TV with a Bob's Jack Plate and a 140 Nissan with power tilt and trim and a Shallow Blaster cav plate. Sometimes I can get going and others, I kick up a lot of water but can't seem to get going or get on plane. Have the motor trimmed down to get started with the jackplate around 3" but still kick up a big churn but no real forward motion, can't seem to get past 25-30 rpm. I can get the prop all the way down but sometimes it doesn't seem to matter and sometimes I'm just fine. Read something bout "porposing" and wonder what it is and if that's my problem? Any thoughts or ideas? PWC's are doing circles around me!

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Could be something a simple prop change or modification could cure. Contact Louie Baumann of Baumann Marine Props. He's a whiz at figuring this stuff out.

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
Cavitating is the Problem..Or your clutch/hub in your prop is slipping.

Porpoising is when your Bow bounces up and down.

I have the same boat with a 140 Suzuki..

I run mine on 3.5 on the JP..And trim it out until I hit 6K RPMS....

It is running about 42 mph WOT/GPS.

I have a 4 blade lifter Prop on mine.

I don't have trim tabs.

Call LouieB as advised.

He got mine working right.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
What you described is not porposing it is cavitation. That's when your prop is sucking in air with the water.

It sounds like you have the jack plate to high sometimes and causes you this problem. The times that it has worked right, I think you had the jack plate low enough to work properly.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
Not that I would know, but I would think that you would run most all the time with the jack plate down as low as possible, unless you need to bring it up in shallow water. Sounds like cavitation to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts