2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently moved to the Woodlands and have returned to pond fishing which I used to do alot while in high school. I have been pleasantly suprised at the quality of fish I have been catching. Most being between 1 and 1.5 lbs but several over 2 and even a 3 pounder and have seen bigger.

I have been kicking around an idea in my head and just wanted to throw it out there to see if there was any interest.

I thought about setting up a sort of Houston pond fishing club that would get together at a Houston pound once and month and fish. What I like about it would be we could get together on week day evenings after work. Say the First Tuesday of the month and we could rotate different ponds around the city.

Was not sure if there is any interest out there so I thought I would throw it out there and see what kind of response I would have.

Tall Steve,

P.S. If anyone is familiar with the ponds at the Meyer Park at 610 and S. Post Oak, I pulled a solid 6 pounder out of there when I was in high school. It is amazing how big bass can get in little pounds.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I used to fish in a big tank in what is now Woodlands. It really was woods back then. We used to camp, fish , and hunt squirrels. I lived across 45 in oakridge when it was new. The best pond fishing back then was when we would hop on our mini-bikes and head north to 1744? there were 4 ponds on the west side of the interstate that were full of bass and crappie. I drive through this area now and it makes me sick. Even 1960 was all woods back then. Progress or overpopulation? Either one doesn't look good against the past.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I fish tanks more than anything.......I got about 4 I hit regularly... so far I have landed a 25+# blue, 6+ bass, 1+ bluegill, and a 10=# mud cat (LOL)........its absicly the same thing as fishin a spot sucha as a cove, bayou on larger water...............JJ

·
The Ole Reprobate
796 Posts
Tall Steve , if you're talking about the ponds on the Meyer Estate property which is between the loop and Braes Bayou just east of PostOak, I caught some good sized bass out of them back in the early 60's. Of course at that time you had to be invited onto the Estate property.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
my dad has a pond on his property near simonton that used to be awesome. i could go and in an hour or so catch 10 bass on topwater and a couple were big enough to fit my fist into their mouth. however, a flood back in '95 brought the water level to 3x's normal and when it receded the bass were all on the banks dead. the catfish and gar survived though. i sure miss that half an hour drive to a great topwater bite!

to the question at hand, all the ponds i used to fish have either been raped or are no longer accessible to the public. i remember one day when two guys with a sain were cleaning one of the drainage ponds out just n of i10 on the west side of eldridge. used to be a great spot for bass and crappie

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
as a kid I fished the Sand Pit in Spring Branch. I personally caught two 8lbs+ (released) and have seen a 9.14 mounted. Sand Pit is still there.

·
Kamikaze
4,627 Posts
If you want good fishin, go to an established golf course. Lotsa quality fish to be caught if ya can keep from getting caught!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
POnds

There are a couple of ponds in a business park off Corporate drive (off US 59) in Sugar Land area that I used to fish as a teenager. They were spectacular (mid 80's). Then someone drowned in one and they put something in the water to kill all the grass (hydrilla). Shut it down.

Haven't been back since about 86. Wouldn't surprise me if they haven't been fished since then.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I will second that Cat O' Lies. Golf courses are a good choice as well. Sometimes they will let you if you ask. CPR is the key.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
When I was in HS, a couple of my buddies and I would rent an alum boat at what is now Good Times Marina on San Jac River. We would go up river a couple of miles and camp on a sandy beach a mile or so below the dam. In addition to running trot lines, rod and reeling catfish, BB gun fights, (skins vs shirts),--no head shots, squirell (how in the heck do you spell squirrel?)hunting, we would push the alum boat about 150 yds through the woods to a little oxbow lake ( about 4 acres) that had great fishing. The water was crystal clear with big cypress trees and stumps all over, and we regularly pulled out bass to 6 lbs, and HUGE white pearch --all on artificials.

There was a lady that rode a white horse that would ride up and stay back in the woods, where you could just barely see her, and she would run us off that pond regularly. We could see that she carried a gun across her saddle. "What in the h*** you boys doing on my lake!!!" Get out! We would dutifully say "Yes mam, just fishing" and push our boat all the way back to the river. If we were there at first light we usually got in an hour to two hours of fishing before getting run off! LOL

I am pretty sure she knew us by sight. Once, after she had run us off two or three times in one month, we found out that the gun she carried was an old 30-30, as she didn't say anything and fired it. In the pre-dawn, mist, the boom echoed throughout the river bottom for I know a full minute, and you could distinctly hear her operate the lever action, jacking in another shell. I am pretty sure she just fired in the air, as we didn't hear a "tink" of shell hitting boat, or the whine of a richocet off the water. Anyway, we waited till the next year to go back! LOL I wonder if that pond is still there?

Later
R3F

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Red3Fish said:
BB gun fights, (skins vs shirts),--no head shots
Later
R3F
LMBO! Those were the good ol' days. Kids nowadays play video games instead. We use to do that but, only if you had a red rider. The pumps would break skin.
--Hop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts