2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a size limit on Pompano? Good to eat?

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
They're OK, maybe I'm not cooking them right. But I'll take trout or Flounder over Pompano any day. We catch them in the surf on Mustang and Padre Island using sand fleas for bait. We catch the sand fleas with a sand pump/siphon made out of PVC pipe. You can buy the pumps at the tackle shop in PortA. BillS

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here's a good general link (more than you wanted to know!). http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/wdb/pub/0121.pdf

Pompano are one of the most delicious fish around. Here's a link to the fish on igourmet.com http://www.chefdecuisine.com/seafood/pompano/pompanomain.asp Of note, their last line says that pompano "offer the highest price per pound of any marine fish in the continental United States."

There are lots of very complex, but good recipes for pompano. One of them is pompano en papillote, where you cook the fish in a parchment paper heart with other seafood. Really good. On the other hand, pompano is great just lightly cooked with butter. The skin of this fish tastes very good.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,535 Posts
No limits to pompano. I looked in the TPW book last night and they are not mentioned. They are extremely good eating. I used to eat it a lot in Pensacola.

Pompano has a white meat and Jack Crevalle have dark meat.

Jack Crevalle can be good if bled right away and the darker meat is cut off. I grill it or pan sear it with garlic and Tony's. Then toss it in a Tuna salad recipe. I like it, but then again, back home I eat mullet. Have not tried Texas mullet yet. I've been told they are not good to eat here. I will eat JC, but it is not the finest fare and must be bled and prepared properly. Never had Amberjack, but I hear it is excellent.

Things a ****@$$ will eat that Texans will not:
Mullet
Jack Crevalle

Things Texans eat, but this CoonA$$ will not, though I have tried:
King Macks
Spanish Macks

Gar (Yep, a buddy of mine claims it is very good. I would try it.)

Things Yankees eat that I will never again consider after trying:
Bluefish - Just like Mack

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yesterday I caught a 22" JC, man these things can fight and the meat was dark red, so I guess bad eating. Any one have a clue to what this would weigh?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts