2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Haven't fished for them but have caught several. Last summer down at SLP I caught two fish one day that looked like huge pompano. They were about 15x the size of pomps.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
I caught them at Surfside, Access Rd 5 back when I used to go to the coast a lot. Like others have said, not really in enough abundance to actually "target" them. I caught mine on live shrimp under a popping cork using a small treble hook...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what i thought

I read an article that was telling me in colder months to target pompano in pretty any texas coast waters, to use fresh dead shrimp in the surf guts. I've fished with dead shrimp on the coast all my life from freeport to high I and never caught one. So I knew they weren't as abundant around here but pondered how many others have caught them.

did yall eat them? how were they?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Ate them once in florida but I don't keep them here. They were tasty in that resturant

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I have caught a few here and there on Bolivar Penninsula and at Rollover Pass and SLP on fishbites and shrimp in August-Sept-Oct. I have caught quite a few over the years on Mustang Island and North Padre also. They like pink or chartruse fishbites better than shrimp. Good eats.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Haven't fished for them but have caught several. Last summer down at SLP I caught two fish one day that looked like huge pompano. They were about 15x the size of pomps.
Sounds like Jacks. Dont confuse small jacks with pomps, jacks are inedible, but fight good. Jacks are great bait to.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Caught about 25 pompano about 20 miles offshore. Got into a school of them in about 40 feet of water and thats all we could catch. After catching about 8 apiece we were so worn out from the fight that we moved to another rig just to rest. Every cast and caught them in about 20 min. when the sun was beating down on us about 95 deg. outside.

Attachments

·
White Oak Bayou Champion Carp Angler
376 Posts
Pomps

Growing up, Pomps are all we were fishing for when we surf fished. Great light tackle gamefish and even better blackened in an iron skillet!

·
Registered
189 Posts
None Better

I have caught them on occasion from surfside jetty on small shrimptail spec rigs. Also caught a couple of big ones from slp pier before ike. I fried them with some fresh trout and my wife and I were both amazed at the flavor of the pompano. She took a bite, her eyes got big and she said "What is that!" . By far the best tasting fish I've had,fresh or saltwater.

·
Registered
865 Posts
On Saturday morning I saw a dead one floating in South Shore Harbour... I though it was a pompano, but wasn't sure until I saw the pic above.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Used to catch them on occasion in the PIN surf around malachite beach, great fighters and better eating than anything that swims.
First ones I took home to clean my usually well behaved cat, that normally stood by the cleaning table to wait for scraps, leaped on the table and dug it's claws in the first one I drug out of the ice. Peeled it off 3 times and then had to put it in the house to clean them.
After we fried one I knew why.

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
We catch 'em by the coolerful in the Mid-atlantic surf.....right at your feet in the wash.They crave sand fleas. Small Gold hooks with red beads.Excellent eatin'!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cool! i guess ya'll catch those as often as we catch croaker. sand fleas huh? can you post a pick of this hook/bead? i might want one in the tackle box.

·
Better use wire.
8,357 Posts
Pompano

I have not caught any here in Texas yet.They are more abundant to the south and Florida. I have heard though as In the pic's that offshore east Texas. In Florida they have more of a silvery tone to them.Bigger two.Great tasting fish that is a given. :cheers:

·
Registered
626 Posts
The last few years I've caught 1 or 2 almost each trip at the Surfside Jetty on either dead or live shrimp. I caught 2 one day during the Summer while throwing a silver spoon for trout. Great fight & good filets.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts