2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Please dont choose unless you have personal experience.

• Moultrie

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • Cuddeback

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Stealth

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Wildview

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which game camera's have you had the best luck with?

I have a couple of Moultries first digital camera's and they worked great but just ate batteries. I now have their newer I40 and IMO it is a piece of junk as I am now on number six.

Which would you spend your money on? Please don't post about camera's that you do not have personal experience with, hopefully this thread will save someone some money in the near future as I have wasted alot in search of the right camera.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The I40 is junk I think now. I bought one just a week before the thread on here about folks having all kinds of Problems with them(LCD). What do you know I get mine and it lasts a WHOLE HOUR before the LCD took a dive. Sent it back and got a stealth 5.0MP with flash. I have another stealth and it seems to work great as well.

Honestly after 4 years of taking pics with the stealth and the flash I have never had a deer show to be spooked from the flash.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have had several Moutrie's in the past and they did not last very long. I bought a Wildview and took it back after a week. I just bought a Ghost after I saw some of my buddies pics from his. It is a pretty cool camera, easy to set and takes some pretty good pics. It has either IR of incandescent flash (you choose which one you want to use). So far it seems to be working pretty well. For a $120 camera, I am prett happy with it. Here are a few pics from the Ghost.

Attachments

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
Cuddeback....Pic from a couple of yrs ago.

·
GOT WHEELS NOW
1,226 Posts
I like my homebrew best

here's why

pic quality is no comparison to store bought

·
Registered
501 Posts
It has been my experience that you get what you pay for and simple isnt always better. Trail Master brand is what my dad uses and he uses them for deer research. Although the ones he has are not digital, they now offer a digital model I believe. The ones pops has are a separate camera and infrared trigger unit connected via a small wire. Our best luck has been mounting the entire unit on a T-post. This way squirels, and other varmits that like to chew wires, cant get to it. One of the main reasons the pics are so much better, is the camera is not shooting through the lense of a case, which sometimes impares the focus.

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
I have been using stealth the past five years. I had two of them and one of them had a melt down, I think it was my error because I might have put the batteries in backwards, not sure. I just bought the $69.99 Moultrie at academy and set it up a couple of months ago. I will find out how it has done in a couple of weeks. I would buy a cuddieback but they are way over priced for me. Pictures are not a high priority for me right now.

·
GOT WHEELS NOW
1,226 Posts
after being right there in my groundblind and witnessing many bucks get flashed...I'm convinced there is no need for infared.....least not here...they pay no attention...I think they think it's just lightning!

this buck was flashed twice and never flinched and still strolled within 12 yrds of my blind...I let him walk though

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
Game Cams

I also do not believe on spending too much on one. I have several Stealths with the old film cameras-don't use due to cost of film and developing. I have a digital Stealth that I bought the external 12V battery pack with. As Asolde said, it also had a melt down. I think they wire their battery the opposite of everyone else. The life of the numerous C-cell batteries is also not too long. I also bought a Moultrie D-40 for $69. The life of the D-cell batteries is suppose to be very good. I went and bought all the accessories for it, less external battery pack, for about $12-$13! That included a 1GB external memory card, USB download cable and a card reader. I will now leave it in Rocksprings between trips to see what comes to the feeders!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have not had good experiences with the cuddyback cameras. They take excellent pics when they work, but I bought 4 and now only have 1 working. They are not very user friendly either and are slow to program. The good thing is they only take 4 batteries as opposed to 6 on the Moultries, and the batteries last longer than the moultries.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've had my I40 in place for over a month and the batteries show (as of yesterday) 89%. I guess I'll have to see if when I change my batteries, if my LCD display doesn't wig out on me.

Also, my D40 is a year old and aside from it mot keeping time (off by a couple of hours) it continues to take good pics. Here are a few pics from the D40.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I40 Fan

I got a Moultrie 140 about 2 months ago. So far, I love this camera. It takes nice quality pictures. The only thing I don't like is the access to the SD card and the nylon mounting straps and buckles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sushiman2000 said:
I got a Moultrie 140 about 2 months ago. So far, I love this camera. It takes nice quality pictures. The only thing I don't like is the access to the SD card and the nylon mounting straps and buckles.
Consider yourself lucky, by the way that is a fantastic buck. I sure hope that the size of the buck did not weight into your decision on the I40, I have gone through six of them since early spring and I truly beleive that the I40 is the biggest POS on the market. I have sent a couple of emails to Moultrie about what to do with the couple of camera's I have and there has not been a single reply. Not only does their camera suck but so does the customer service, never again will I purchase any kind of Moultrie product.

Sorry if this sounds like a Moultrie bashing reply because that is exactly how it was intended, I hope it saves someone a couple of hundred bucks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm sorry you've had a bad experiance. My works exactly as expected, don't know what else to say. I'm off to hunt for the afternoon. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I hope you get that "big boy".

sushiman2000 said:
I'm sorry you've had a bad experiance. My works exactly as expected, don't know what else to say. I'm off to hunt for the afternoon. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
sushiman I totally argee with you. The sd card location is less than ideal, and the straps/buckle combo is total junk. I like the bungies on the lesser moultrie cams. but the I40 takes great photos and I.R. shots. I also like the lesser moultrie cams they are super easy to use and take pretty good pics. Any time I have had any problems with my older moultries I have just taken the back and swapped them out with no problems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts