2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a side by side after the first of the year and would like some feed back on the Polaris Ranger and the Yamaha Rhino. Will be using for deer lease and off road riding in the off season.

·
Pocket Change
156 Posts
Went through the same thing your are. I rode both and drove both, I went with the Rhino due to the speed, ride and power difference. Also I hunt east texas and ride up at lease in off season, the rhino is a little more narrow for ridding trails in the woods.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I havent driven a Rhino but Ive driven the Ranger and didnt like it at all. Ive also driven a Mule and really liked it.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
I spent WEEKS trying to decide between these 2.
It was a tough call.
Eventually I went with a Rhino because I got it for a better price, but the Ranger would have been JUST as suitable.

1 thing to consider is "trail riding" or open ranch/hunting? The Rhino is more narrow and WILL take tight trails better...but the Ranger has a bench seat and won't flip as easily. It's a toss-up.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've used both and for the last three years, we have used a Rhino at our lease...........My nod definately goes to the Rhino.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Two different animals. A Rhino and a Polaris Razor would be a closer comparison.

It depends on what you are going to do with it, the size of the folks involved and how many you want to come along. The Ranger is bigger and has more carrying capacity for both people and cargo. The Rhino is more compact and maneuverable. If you think a Rhino is what you want be sure to try the Razor before you buy.

·
Registered
875 Posts
We have both a polaris crew and an earlier model non fuel injected rhino....The rhino is a piece of junk for hunting IMO unless it's south texas flat land, I have broken about 5 axles in the rear throughout it's lifespan, even stripped out the gorilla axles that are suppose to be unbreakable. The rhino will crawl some serious chit but doesn't hold up to well doing it. The ranger is a workhorse and will do all you want it to, it isn't as sporty for offroading but is much quieter and better all around for hauling heavy stuff around the ranch. If you want a rhino I got one for sale though lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
It depends greatly on what your intended use is. The Rhino is a recreational machine with good utility value. The Ranger is a utility machine with good recreational value. Here is my personal experience. I recently sold my 2005 Rhino 660 and got a 2009 Ranger 700 XP. I origionaly got the Rhino because I hated the looks of the old Rangers. While I still think the Rhino is better looking, the 09-10 Rangers were changed drastically and look a lot more sporty.

My reasons for changing were: The Ranger has a bench seat opposed to 2 bucket seats in the Rhino. This is huge for me because there are 3 in my family. And yes, you can ride with 3 full grown men in the Ranger.

Also, the bed is much larger on the Ranger. I use it to work on our property and haul corn, protien, barbed wire, tools ect. ect. so the bigger bed was very important. It also has a bigger payload.

Noise was a big issue as well. The Rhino is a louder machine. All the motor noise comes up in between the seats and into the cab. I was always yelling at the guy next to me. My buddy has a 09 Rhino, and while it is quieter than my 05, it is still louder than the Ranger.

And whoever said the Rhino rides better and is faster, well that is simply not true. The ride on the 2 machines is comparable, and the Rhino will start bouncing off of the rev limiter at 42 MPH, while the new Rangers will do 50 MPH. The 09 Rhino seems to have more power off of the line, but not top end. I am basing this off of the 09 models. I dont know about the 2010. I dont think Yamaha has the 2010 out yet??

I hope none of the Rhino owners take my post as bashing the Rhino in any way. I still like that machine very much. If I wanted a recreational vehicle based on looks, put wheels/tires, aftermarket stuff on it and to use for riding trails and going off roading at the river with buddies, I would get a Rhino. I use the Ranger for work on our property and it just suits my needs better. I hope this posts was helpfull to the origional poster. I suggest you go ride in them both and make your decision. They are both great machines in thier own way.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the posts its been a great help... Still having trouble deciding so I will heve to ride in both then decide.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm going against the line here... we have a Ranger Crew that is on it's second
season at our lease. The ride is unbeatable... period. It runs way faster than I
could ever drive it on the terrain we have. We've done everything with it, filling
feeders, hauling firewood, retrieving deer, hauling six men at a time to their stands...

I wouldn't think of having anything else...

·
lay zay lay bon tom roo lay
467 Posts
GalvestonWader said it pretty good except how hot the rhino is;...go polaris and keep it state side

my judgement could be skewed I have an 07' but I would definitely buy another one..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts