2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Save a Goat, Ride a Cowgirl!!!
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I stumbled across a 2002 Polaris sportsman 400 4x4 yesterday evening. According to the meter it has 1300 hrs. on it and everything works properly. My question is are there any certain quirks to this machine that I should look out for. I've had a smaller polaris and honda and yamaha four wheelers before and never had any problems. I'll take it to a shop and have it tuned up and gone over from head light to tail light. I believe the auto tranny is belt driven should I have the belt or belts replaced even though it's working properly? Is there a certain polaris shop close to Friendswood that ya'll recomend?

Any info. and help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Can you have it inspected at a shop before you buy it? That would give you a good idea of what you are looking at if repairs are needed. Belt life is more dependent on type of usage, than hours in service. Heat is the biggest killer of belts. Pulling heavy loads a lot, lots of mud with large tires can all generate friction heat on the belt. I personnly do not like the automatics because at slow speeds they have to run higher RPMs to keep the slow speed constant, thus making more noise. That's just me.

Hope this helps a little.
Shallow

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks shallow!!!

I already bought it. I test drove it and everything is working properly and it really runs good. I hear ya on the auto but this one will be going to my mom and dad on their ranch in Flatonia. Mama doesn't need all the doohickies, thingymajiggers and whatyamacallits that some 4 wheelers have.LOL The thing I like about this is if you wanna go forward you push the leverthingy forward and give her some gas. If you wanna go backards just pull the leverthingy backards and giver some gas. Mom and Dad are both still very active but this will just be a good tool for them to have. I guess my main question is do ya'll have a polaris shop that you recomend or just a good mechanic that'll give it a good look over.

Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The only one I'm familar with is Gene's Polaris Counrty on I-10 just past Mont Belvieu. If it running fine, just change the oil, oil filter, air filter if it is dirty, and maybe the spark plug and take it to them. They will not be putting it through the abuse that some do.

Shallow

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
CORNHUSKER said:
I already bought it. I test drove it and everything is working properly and it really runs good. I hear ya on the auto but this one will be going to my mom and dad on their ranch in Flatonia. Mama doesn't need all the doohickies, thingymajiggers and whatyamacallits that some 4 wheelers have.LOL The thing I like about this is if you wanna go forward you push the leverthingy forward and give her some gas. If you wanna go backards just pull the leverthingy backards and giver some gas. Mom and Dad are both still very active but this will just be a good tool for them to have. I guess my main question is do ya'll have a polaris shop that you recomend or just a good mechanic that'll give it a good look over.

Thanks
Brad
I would go to their website and download the uder manual, unless the previous owner gave his to you.

I have a Sportsman 6x6 and it walks you through the location of every service check you need. It's about $200 to have them do it.

Also, instead of buying the high dollar Polaris Oils, filter, etc., you can get a good synthetic oil and filters, etc at Walmart much cheaper.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2003 ploaris 700 4x4 and from experience I can tell you that with that many miles on it I would take a look at the drive belt. It feels ok taking off but a new belt makes all the difference. I would also check your u-joints on you front and read drive shafts. Make sure they are not loose. They have grease zerts on them so pumpp them up a bit with some good grease. Last you want to check the cv boots on you axles for tears and dry rot. Somtimes they seem okay just looking at them but they very well could have a few small holes in them. Axles are expensive.

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
I've got a 2002 polaris sportsman HO 4X4 since it was new. I always keep the oil changed, gear boxes serviced, and keep it greased up. Replaced the spark plug two or three times. I have had to replace the battery, speed sensor,and two fuses. Been a good bike since I've owned it.

Are you sure you got 1300 hours on it? How many miles on it? Seems like alot for a 2002. Must have been used daily.

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody.

Asolde yes it has 1300 hours on it and 10200 miles on it according to the odometer. Last night I got all fluids changed and hit the 50 thousand grease zerts with good grease. The boots all look good too so now all that's left is the drive belt. She's got a lot of miles on her but she sure runs good and for what I paid I'll never complain.

Thanks again everybody for your suggestions.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts