2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas:
We see shad at Port A most of the time, but I have seen very few at POC.

Any areas that you guys see them regularly? And in water shallow enough to catch them in?

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
187 Posts
.5 kilometers NW of greens bayou

Don't know if it's a reliable pattern, but I've found them several times 5-8 miles to the east. Follow the intercoastal until it breaks to the north, then maintane a parallel heading with the shore. The shad are a quarter mile off the shoreline (closer to the dereck by greens bayou). May not need to go that far but sometimes they're just north west of that derek or even half mile to the east.

Don't count on the pelicans or other birds to find them for you. You usually need to spot them with the naked eye. Don't know why the birds in west matty don't hang over the schools?

They're in 10-12' of water so a 7' mono cast net that sinks fast is required. Let the net sink at least 6 seconds or even 10. Three days ago my brother and I were shoulder to shoulder throwing at a school. I would catch 2 gallons per throw and he may get 2 shad with his cotton net.

If the net stops sinking you have a mess. I had a neat new experience on one throw last week, the net filled up with bait and the mob swam the net back up to the surface. It was cool seeing my net coming back at me as a big silver blob.

It's quite run just for bait! Fishing near these schools is very active if you like sharks and snot monsters, LOL.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.