2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,213 Posts
When I first started to fish SAB & ESB in 95 there were hundreds of unmarked reefs with thick oyster. Over the years shrimping started to drag these reefs down and flatten them. Heck, I have more reefs marked that are not even there anymore than the ones that are still there! That is one problem... second problem, when I first started fishing there Charlies would have 5-10 boat trailers parked on the weekend now there is 5 acres of boat trailers parked.

I don't even fish the area anymore because of all the fishing pressure and all of my secret spots have been destroyed by shrimpers.

·
Team Coastline Marine
698 Posts
Too many boats on the water maybe? really need to think about a little CPR and lowering the limit....? Just a thought

·
Alabama Tiger
95 Posts
I don't know if it is the shrimpers or if the area is just being over fished. I personally think the pressure on the fish is just too great.

Time is now to do what the lower coast did and have a 5 trout limit.

What do you guides think?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
yup... and the sanctuary, wetlands, and caracol arent gonna help anything out either... all we need are more boats in POC...

Porpoises are also Rampant in poc, they hang around waders picking off dinks being thrown back and fish on stringers, maybe there should be a way to "thin" them back out...

I also dont think that tp&w do that big of a fish stocking operation down here as they do on the upper coast, maybe we should help them out on that...

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
The huge influx of fresh water into the bay system coming down the Guadalupe in 2007 really put a hurt on bait and shrimp populations. No bait, and little trout have a hard time surviving. We're now starting to see the results on the adult populations. The fresh water also pushes the trout out into the saltier gulf where there are more predators to attack them.

·
You mean... beyond pacifism?
1,122 Posts
I wouldn't be opposed to making the LLM limits statewide either. (5 max, 1 over 25"). Can still catch whatever you want, just keep a smaller amount. And please don't tell me it's all about food. For the amount of money anybody spends on one trip out, they could buy pounds of fish filets from the store.

·
Registered
221 Posts
-Fishing pressure
-Shrimping by catch (5 pounds or more of by catch to produce 1 pound of marketable shrimp)
-Oyster boats, I don't have the data for reference, but based on personal experience, it seems like they are taking it out at a greater rate than it can be replenished.
-Oh and did I mention fishing pressure.. Between the abundance of recreational fisherman and the saturation of guides in the area, based on these surveys the resource does not appear sustainable.

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts
Wish I knew.. The fishing was very bad in POC last year and worse this year. I know a lot of the big egg layers get pulled out by the soakers and I know the pressure has greatly been increased in general but can such a decline really be caused by fisherman? I was told by someone that the drought brought the salinity levels high enough in the back lakes that the fish were uncomfortable and moved out into the gulf. I can't see that happening either. I release all fish unless I eating them that night and I do not keep anything over 25" including redfish. Take a camera while you wade if you need bragging rights because the jack asses at the cleaning table will forget about you in a day or two. Is it really worth the kill? Dead fish don't take very good pictures anyway.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Don't really think it's fair to post those pics if your not go to post the other 100 guides down there.. why you wanna call them out? Chris and Kris taking your customers.. lol
seems you got a stiffy on for them,,, maybe you should meet one of them at a ramp and not hide on the Inet http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=190116 sooner or later it's going to catch up to you. they seem to have no problem catching fish nor do the other guides down there... pressure is everywhere. buy property and build you a pond if you want your fish!

·
Cowboy T-shirt Fan
5,206 Posts
Wish I knew.. The fishing was very bad in POC last year and worse this year. I know a lot of the big egg layers get pulled out by the soakers and I know the pressure has greatly been increased in general but can such a decline really be caused by fisherman? I was told by someone that the drought brought the salinity levels high enough in the back lakes that the fish were uncomfortable and moved out into the gulf. I can't see that happening either. I release all fish unless I eating them that night and I do not keep anything over 25" including redfish. Take a camera while you wade if you need bragging rights because the jack asses at the cleaning table will forget about you in a day or two. Is it really worth the kill? Dead fish don't take very good pictures anyway.
Why is it just the "soakers" that keep the big fish? I soak bait and I don't keep any big fish. I hardly keep any fish, unless I plan on eating them soon.
Maybe it's the ones who are throwing lures with these big arse hooks on both ends and then have to rip them out of the fishes mouth and throat.

Regardless it's a problem and I'm sure it's not caused by just one certain types of fisherman. But I understand that ya'll are much more superior than us so we get the blame. Get over yourself.

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
A different opinion

First, I fish the POC/Seadrift quite a bit and have been doing so for the past 30-35 years. I've seen populations up and down, and more importantly I've seen the major concentrations migrate from one sub-bay to another and different spots turn on from year to year.

Factors such as fresh water, shrimp populations, and water conditions affect the fishing FAR more than angler pressure.

Still, all in all, from my logbooks the past 12 months I seen and caught more big trout (25"+) than I have in almost 10 years. While I don't target trout specifically (more of a shallow water sight-casting redfish guy), we do get a fair number of trout as "incidental" catches while targeting reds. This year has been pretty good for trout in the areas I fish. The past 12 months show an average of 3.5 trout per day, as opposed to 2.3 the prior year (per trip, 2 people).

Futhermore, the gill net surveys run by the TP&W are "ok", but their sampling methodology is prone to errors. The year-over-year trends are probably a better indicator than an individual year - but I can tell you one year they showed an extremely low population and we anglers had a SUPER year on trout, both size and numbers.

Lastly, I know both Chris Martin and Kris Kelly personally, know their operations - and I can honestly tell you both these gentlemen are SUPER conservation oriented. The insuation made in previous post are WAY out of line. For example, while Chris may post a pic with a "lot" of harvested trout - his business is corporate-oriented and it is not uncommon for him to have more than 10-14 anglers fishing each day. Divide those shots over ten guys and the per-person harvest is much less than you would may guess. Moreover, Kris has a family-oriented business and often - very often - are taking junior anglers out for fun fishing for gafftop, drum, etc. and doesn't post or show off those pics. I invite you to check his reports and posts and I think you'll see what I mean. A couple of "meat haul" pics for a large group of guys over years of modest pics is really taking things out of proportion.

Both these guys are TTMB sponsors and post frequently with great information, friendly responses, always will to lend a hand, and history of conservation topics - so give them a break, they are two of the "good guys".

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Wanted see what you guys thought was the reason for the severe downturn in Trout population on the Mid Texas Coast?
Why don't you just come out and say you don't like guides? Kind of a backdoor cheap shot. I know that the guys at Bayflats contribute a pretty good chunk of change to the hatcheries every year. Can you say that?

·
Live to fish, work to live
2,330 Posts
We have a Problem

The chart on SA Bay shows gillnet surveys of SA Bay have dropped to 1/4 of the level in 2003.
The oyster boats showed up in droves after Katrina and Rita and keep coming back. The fishing pressure used to decline when hunting season opens. Last weekend the lot at Charlies was packed by 7:30 AM and they were not all duck hunters.

We could do something proactive and just keep 5 or we can wait for TP&WD to take 10 years like they did with the flounder bandaid but there is no question we have a problem right now. Bass anglers figured this out years ago and its time we stopped referring to legal fish as keepers because we are heading for seasonal closures just like Florida if we do not act soon on our trout. Of course, a freeze can get us there real quick as those of us who lived through the 83 and 89 freezes can attest. Kill the golden goose at your peril.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have seen a decline in the numbers of keeper trout I have caught in the past 24 months in the area as well but tend to think that is influenced more by natural causes, ie heavy run off in 07, drought 08-09, fewer shrimp hatches, etc. Lots and lots of dinks though, so the future is bright.

As for the guides, it's a tough business. I am sure most up and down the coast have seen their business decline by atleast 50% during the past 18 months. Successful ones must work very hard at keeping customers happy. Fish are much better at hiding than we or guides are at finding them, with or without croaker.

A good estuary will easily be able to replenish a reasonable amount of bounty guides and rec anglers can take out with a rod and reel. Go fish somewhere else and I will let you know when it's right again :smile:

·
Save a Goat, Ride a Cowgirl!!!
3,388 Posts
I have seen a decline in the numbers of keeper trout I have caught in the past 24 months in the area as well but tend to think that is influenced more by natural causes, ie heavy run off in 07, drought 08-09, fewer shrimp hatches, etc. Lots and lots of dinks though, so the future is bright.

As for the guides, it's a tough business. I am sure most up and down the coast have seen their business decline by atleast 50% during the past 18 months. Successful ones must work very hard at keeping customers happy. Fish are much better at hiding than we or guides are at finding them, with or without croaker.

A good estuary will easily be able to replenish a reasonable amount of bounty guides and rec anglers can take out with a rod and reel. Go fish somewhere else and I will let you know when it's right again :smile:
Wow, not saying it's the guides faults by any means but 50% decrease in trips over the last 18 months times how many guides is a lot of dang fish.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts