2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished POC this weekend, thursday thru Saturday.

things were looking good at first, found some fish in west matty flats. storm system pushed in lots of water to the bay, very high tides. bite wasn't hot and heavy, but they were biting and we put a few reds, trout in the box. that afternoon, things went downhill and never recovered.

Friday was awfully unproductive. fishing all the areas we had found fish before, we couldn't even buy a bite. we had 3 boats, about 15 waders, and only a handful of trout in the box for an entire day's effort!

Saturday was a bit better, but not much. we found the fish biting a bit more in my boat, ended up with 3 keeper trout, and a couple of almost-bites on redfish. our other boats caught dink trout for 2 hours, boxing a handful of keepers.

just a rough, slow weekend for us. we ran many many many miles on Friday (83 to be exact) trying every nook and cranny i knew trying to find a bite and never found it.

the good news is the bach party went great, the bachelor won the trash fish contest with a 30" shark, and the beers were good and cold!

for me, my fishing performance for the month of july can be summed up in one word: terrible. guess i better keep the engineering job!

seems like the bays (ESB and Matty) are fine as far as freshwater goes. ICW is all fresh, but its not in the bays at all. Tides have been almost non-existent the last 3 days. very little movement, until last nite about 4 p.m. they start falling out for seemingly the first time in 3 days.

love to know how anyone else did, so i can learn what i did wrong!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
POC - Seadrift

Fished out of Seadrift Friday evening and both Saturday and Sunday morning. Found some Red's sightcasting in front of Contee but they weren't interested in my offerings. They made half hearted efforts and never would take the bait. We threw Sand Eels and paddletails at them. Only boated one keeper about 22".

Went way south past Panther Saturday found excellent water and rafts of mullets and many other fin fish. Pulled in a few rat reds on a Skitterwalk and a 24" keeper red on a Sand Eel. Picked up a few keeper trout there and Panther Reef.

Sunday was even slower. We stacked up with another 7 boats from Contee shoreline all the way to the entrance to Pringle. Again, excellent water lots and lots bait but they were not worried and we only got a few dinks and soft bites. Tried Dewberry but at 9am there were five boats there when we arrived. Saw some reds up tight but they were real spooky.

My take was that the fish were there but not in the mood. The boat traffic in the areas we fished may have been breaking up the schools of Reds and Specks that were working the shorelines. If the fish were on I think we would have caught more, either that or we were in the right places at the wrong time. I am sure someone loaded up on them, just not me.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,963 Posts
Same thing here !

After fleeing the jelly fish in front of Decrose, we fished East of the entrance to Pringles and boxed 14 trout, but, there were 5 of us so it was a grind. Saturday PM we fished West of the entrance and got 1, Sunday AM fished the same place for about two hours and then moved to Cedars and got 0. Good conditions, good water, bait every where, just no (keeper) trout. I'm not sure anyone did much better in that area. The fishing had been great prior to the rain so I'm blaiming it all on Mother Nature. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,679 Posts
I am not sure if this helps or not guys, but we had about the same experience on the 3-5 boats of 2coolers that were in Rockport this weekend too. A lot of dinks and maybe 10 keepers for the weekend. What was the water temp like over there?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Water temp

We were able to find some really cool water in all the place we fished and I do not think that was a warm/hot water was a factor. We fished tight to the shoreline and wayout in deep cool water. Same results...soft bites, a few throw backs and a keeper here and there. I think the fish took the weekend off to relax and just follow the baits. I did see several 'good" fish follow my lure only to break off righ as they we in range for me to set the hook.

I did catch a killer beer buzz!!!

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
We ended up with 4 reds and 2 trout Fri. and another 4 reds Sat. all caught at bayucous
and the cedars. And yes the traffic was bad, come on FALL. My buddy pulled two boats
off bars Sat. before he even got to wet a line.
Rick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, glad to know i wasn't the only one with this luck!!!

we didn't fish much west of grass island, thinking we were too close to fresh water.

we worked all around the west matty shorelines and the attached lakes, and basically found fish in the same mood you guys did. the moon, the rain, who knows?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pringle

We were out there with the masses in front of Pringle. However, we were about half way between the entrance and the point where it bends back to Rahal. 3 of us went out Saturday and Sunday. The fish were all deep. Caught 8 Saturday morning and 2 late that afternoon. My buddies boxed only 2 fish between them the whole day. One is vertically challenged and couldn't wade deep enough. He tried drifting and anchoring, but it always spooked the fish.

Sunday was much easier. I had enough on ice by 11:00 AM for a nice fry. The taller guy boxed 2, and our shorter friend again got skunked. Indicative of the last 6 weeks, not only are the fish in deeper water, but they're bunched up 100's of yards apart. I was surrounded by boats that weren't as fortunate. The waders caught 5 to every drifter.

I think the biggest factor is you have to keep moving. I'd pick up 2 or 3 in one spot, but then no more until wading down at least 150+ yards. A limit required walking no less than 1/2 mile. If you're willing to walk enough, the fish are out there....some decent ones too. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great observation texasdead, thanks for that tip.

we were late to our fishing spot saturday, and there were waders covering up the deeper dropoffs that i had hoped to work, but those guys stayed out there for 3 hours, so i reckon they were slowly and steadily catching fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts