2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished Sunday and Monday and tried to make it to the Dunbar area for tuna, but never made it there. Running out we were in the ugliest water for 10-15 miles are were discouraged, but hit a blue water rip at 16 mi that everyone else out there blew right through. It was rough so we decided to stop and troll it just for grins. Well, we had two sails in the spread and hooked up several good dorado. Lost both sails and they were sunning on the edge of the rip. This was a late afternoon trip and we didn't have much time. The standing waves were bad at the jetties coming in.

The next day we hit the same rip at 15 mi by 8 am (still intending to go further). This time the big bulls were in there thick and we had several hours of scorching runs, big jumps and a very bloody boat. If anyone wants to catch a big bull dolphin and don't have a big boat, go to this rip at 165deg 15-18 mi out of POC. We didn't get any great pics of the bigger dorados, but here are some. With only 2 guys on the boat, we were fighting fish nearly the whole time. If we didn't have a 20-30 lb dorado crash the spread within 2-5 min we got worried. The map below shows the location of the rip. It is nearly brown on one side and very blue on the other and full of big flying fish.

During the morning yesterday we had a little 15 inch dolphin hit on an Ilander and being dragged across the water. While trying to bring him in, a ~70 lb bull hit him, and ate him, the lure and 6 feet of leader snapping the line. We watched him for 20 min jumping 7 feet in the air with the little fish, lure and leader still hanging out. This rip was some of the best dorado action I've ever seen on the Texas coast. Wish we could go again right now. The game warden had a blast. Ilanders with big bird rigs close behind the boat were the trick. There's more to the story, so I'll update later....

Attachments

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
Your a stand-up guy for taking the time out to make this trip happen. Congrats and thanks for the post. Greenie comin your way!

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Didjman again.

Next Time...

·
Registered
68 Posts
How far are the closest rigs out of port oconner, do they hold many fish, how far out of POC do you have to go to get a chance at snapper? I am guessing the above map isn't showing all of the rigs??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Great report and pics. Heckuva day fishing and quality grub on the way. That's hard to beat fishing that close in.

Fred

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
Greened him myself. That's what I'm talkin' about. Heck I'm hundreds of miles from there and don't have a boat to get out there but we do share info like that up here and everyone catches more fish.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bevo-

Please tell them to hit that rip and be prepared for anything. We also had a big wahoo rig a mahi in half while coming in but could pick any up on wahoo lures. Someone will bag a big sail on that rip. I've never seen them sunning like that. You could ride right up next to them. I think a little live mahi would be toast. That seems what everything was eating. Almost every time we had a smaller mahi on, a huge one was chasing and wackin him all the way to the boat. By the way, some big triple tails on the weeds, but we were not interested. We had one fish tail walk with a little mahi in the air by his head that really looked like a white marlin. If it was, he as a trophy. Easy to outrun the fish this time of year. Many reports from those that made it to deep water in POC that had slow days. Meanwhile we had a darn rodeo going on.

On the rigs out of POC, all rigs we hit (only three and one shrimper tied up) were dead. I'd skip the rigs and hit the rip! Only thing it was missing was tuna...

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
There is either a continuance of this rip all the way to the Freeport area or a very similar rip 18 miles out of Freeport. It is very defined with green/blue border. We found it yesterday afternoon while on Mahiseekers boat coming back from the VA Fogg. Trolled it for 30 minutes and it produced 4 mahi but since it was the end of the day we were not as dedicated. If anyone is going out in the next few days please report back. All of us were confident that given enough time cows or bulls would be realized.

Green awarded - Didjman

Thanks,
AGF

·
Registered
333 Posts
Always-Gone-Fishing said:
There is either a continuance of this rip all the way to the Freeport area or a very similar rip 18 miles out of Freeport. It is very defined with green/blue border. We found it yesterday afternoon while on Mahiseekers boat coming back from the VA Fogg. Trolled it for 30 minutes and it produced 4 mahi but since it was the end of the day we were not as dedicated. If anyone is going out in the next few days please report back. All of us were confident that given enough time cows or bulls would be realized.

Green awarded - Didjman

Thanks,
AGF
what boat were you in?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts