2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I make them myself. You ready...
I use a free program off the internet called GPS Trackmaker. First, I figured out how to load my GPS spots on the map. I did that by adding a few waypoints of a couple of places on the blank map and then exported the map as a text file. I opened the map as a text file with notepad and then saw how the waypoints were listed. I tinkered in Excel till I could get them the same way, then I pasted them into the text file and saved it. When I opened up the text file in GPS trackmaker...all my waypoints were there. Then I downloaded the seafloor countour lines and merged them with the map that came with the program. I downloaded a MODIS picture of the gulf. I inserted the picture in the map program. The map program needs the upper left and lower right latitude and longitude coordinates of the photo. You can look at the metadata of the image and that will give you those coordinates. Click on Map Image properties from the drop down menu, and give it the right coordinates. Calibrate the image...and there you go. I drew a track line from the POC jetties to the rip to get the distance. PM me if you want me to go through it with you or if you need help.

By the way...this post is #667...I don't know if it is good to get away from 666 or not much less add a 7 onto the end of it considering on 7/7/07 I got hooked in the head and lost my Aggie ring in 250 ft water near Baker. (this is for you Capt Doug)

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
OffshoreAggie said:
I make them myself. You ready...
I use a free program off the internet called GPS Trackmaker. First, I figured out how to load my GPS spots on the map. I did that by adding a few waypoints of a couple of places on the blank map and then exported the map as a text file. I opened the map as a text file with notepad and then saw how the waypoints were listed. I tinkered in Excel till I could get them the same way, then I pasted them into the text file and saved it. When I opened up the text file in GPS trackmaker...all my waypoints were there. Then I downloaded the seafloor countour lines and merged them with the map that came with the program. I downloaded a MODIS picture of the gulf. I inserted the picture in the map program. The map program needs the upper left and lower right latitude and longitude coordinates of the photo. You can look at the metadata of the image and that will give you those coordinates. Click on Map Image properties from the drop down menu, and give it the right coordinates. Calibrate the image...and there you go. I drew a track line from the POC jetties to the rip to get the distance. PM me if you want me to go through it with you or if you need help.
does anybody have a spare advil?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
All the yrs. on the water, all I had were the stars, next that aggie is gonna be building rockets, gees I can't even get a picture of my son with a hog he shot for my avatar, by the way good looking map, picture, topo, I'm just jealous!

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excedrin Migraine formula works good for me...Not to bore anyone, but the latest image shows the rip a little closer to shore at 28.8 miles. It's not as easy to see in this image due to the angle of the sun, but I outlined it after zooming in. It's still a good rip as you can see in the choloryphyll image. Blue clear water right next to green water.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Man with your map skills and satellite images,I'm gonna make sure my wife has clothes on 24/7...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, I'm SWT does that count?

Ray, its funny that you're using Trackmaker. I actually know the guy that made the program (in Brazil). I use it for lots of things, but mostly to create custom maps that can be loaded into your gps. I can help you with some other data to import into TM. I'll try to give you call. I'm trying to decide how to implement my gulf dem data. TM (and others) will use an image geospatially, but not access the depth data as a grid set (in other words you can't point and click for depth unless using the contours).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts