2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit poc this weekend for a little tourney on sat. got there at 9am on friday and went straight for greens. green and cottons had nasty chocolate water on the shoreline and almost no grass. bottom had the stink of rotten grass every now and then. saw 3 black tips cruising the shallows and decided to take off. went outside the jetties to check out the surf and it was beautiful - blue and green. saw a huge manta ray at least 10 ft across, but no bait or game fish. went back in the jetties and fished over some grass. saw lots of reds, caught one keeper on chart plastic up shallow. caught two keeper trout as well. headed in to check in at the motel and the bbq dinner/tourney check in.

saturday with two more friends having arrived late fri, we hit the surf at sunrise. took us a while to find the fish, so we anchored up and hopped out the boat and finally found them. we ended up catching around 30 keepers from 15.5-18 by 9am. one buddy lost a nice trout off his stringer to a decent shark that hit about 5 ft in front of him. he couldn't identify it because it happened so fast and threw so much water it was hard to see. went back in and we found some bigger fish. my partner landed a winner that went almost 25" and right around 5lbs on a red/white norton bull minnow(ol' faithful.) we had another trout that ended up finishing 4th(only 3 places paid.) we could won the whole dang thing, but could only convince 1 of the 40+ reds we saw over the day to be strung. still ended up landing about 45 keeper trout between the 4 of us. we strung about 25 of em we had a nice stringer of trout going at least 15 lbs for 5 trout. if we'd had 3 5-6 lb reds that would've won the stringer. our other team also had a good stinger of trout with the biggest going 23. if we'd strung some nice reds, we coud of had two winning string out of 3 places! we caught the trout on every color but mostly black/chart in the surf. and red/white, limetreuse and pumkin/chart in the bay. topwater color didn't seen to matter, just a super loud/crazy retrieve with a pause every now and then.

dave ended up with a 1st place trout and hudge won a allstar titanium wading special rod at the raffle. had a great time. thanks to joey for sticking it out in the surf to give us our numbers on trout or we'd have left the surf on sat with only one trout. sunday we had some decent topwater fish on the s shoreline and then we hit the surf with about 10 keeper trout.

we all waded wet at least part of the 3 days and had no problems. on the second day i hit a pothole that filled my waders so i gave up and fished the rest of the time waderless. the water was very strange all over at greens/cottons. water looked weird and nasty down there. only saw one other boat in the whole area.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think we saw that same ray, were you on the east side of the jetties out towards the end? We had a group in 2 boats and are in disagreement over whether it was a shark or a ray (we said it was a ray.)

Where did you fish in the surf? We caught good numbers Wed and Thursday just a few hundred yards past the shrimp boat in the pass. On Saturday we were fishing the same spot with little luck when we noticed all the boats kept running past us and out of site, decided to follow them and ended up catching a few just in front of the lighthouse.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we were east of the jetties aroud noon. we thought it was a couple sharks at first, becasuse of its dorsal fin and wing tips. we cut the motor and sat to watch it and it almost hit my boat. it was heading towards the jetty.

we caught the fish between the jetties and the pass, almost straight in shore from the visible wreck about 20" deep. we must've found a hole, because 30 yards in either direction there were only dinks and not many of them.

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
LOL-- small world, this wouldnt happen to be the Pescador tourney would it? Good going! We caught plenty of fish on saturday, nuthin worth bringing in for the weigh in though. I did end up with a great door prize. See ya next time. BREW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts