2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up to the lightest wind I have seen this year in Port Mansfield. My buddy Chad had to head home for work so he left his 10 year old son with me to finish out the last day of the trip. We headed out to the jetties to see what it was like and the seas were only 1 ft. We didn't even make it 1 mile from the jetties and some baitfish were getting torn up by Spanish Mackeral. We stopped and started tossing top dogs and had our first king on within seconds. My godson Nathaniel caught the first one which went about 20lbs and CPR. We proceede to spend the next 3 hours using gold spoons, top dogs and ribbon fish to land 20+kings all in the 10-25 lb range. We only stopped because we had 4 in the ice chest that were too weak to release and didn't want to have to throw any back that might not make it. We also had a big Jack Crevale (?) about 30 lbs on for 40 minutes before tightening the drag and he broke off. We also had a 15-20 lb King get bit in half by a shark---should I have counted this towards my 2 king limit ? I didn't even think about until I had 4 in the chest.What a great day on the water and even better to get a chance to experience it with my godson Nathaniel--we just felt bad that his dad had to miss it :)
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bet those boys were exhausted and wired! They got some nice fish there[:)]
It is always great to see kids fish and reel in one. These are the days they will always remember..
Capt.Bill and Lynn

·
Registered
382 Posts
Glad to say we shared this day; at one time we hooked four kings in five cast. It has been a while since I was too tired to cast again. Also hooked a shark on a 4" soft plastic. He pulled us around for 20 minutes until finally coming to the boat for a quick release. The next cast hooked a big jack but another quick release put us back on the kings and spanish.
After this day was over, my son reminded me that Wednesday had been better, the kings were bigger.
Life is hard...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts