2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to start reloading shells. I don't know what kind reloader I want but I want something that will load High Brass and 3 in. Any Ideas? I was also wondering if the machine I get will measure the powder and shot by itself or do I have to do it? Where do you buy powder and shot? Anything helps.
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
762 Posts
GImme a minute and I will type ya up somethin, huh 27.

First I would suggest you get a copy of the Lyman Shotshell Manual. It will help you out in a big way deciding on which components to use with what shells. That does make a difference. Also makes a difference if your shooting lead or steel as well so keep that in mind.

Ok, there are several type presses for shot shells. The easiest is a single stage where you move the shell from one station to the next, and insert the ad and slide the powder/shot bar back and forth to load the powder and shot.

Then there are progressives, which will do part of the operation for you or all of the operations for you. Just depends on how much you want to spend and fancy you want to get. I have a simple single stage that has loaded several truck loads of shells, with hardly any issues.

As to the shell length you can adjust most to load which ever length your wanting to load. The length only really comes into play when you start to crimp and finish the crimp. The rest is pretty basic and no a big issue on the length.

Here are a couple of sites, look through them and check out the differnt prsses made my the different companies. Carters Country I believe handles MEC, and they have wads, primers, and shot. Their prices may or may not be reasonable, I haven't purchased any of that stuff in a while. I used to get at least a bag of shot a week from them but that was a while back. I also know that BPS and Gander Mtn have a limited selection of stuff there as well. But you might find a better deal on it elsewhere also.
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

These are only a couple of places I have either ordered from or heard about recently. Good luck and I hope this helps some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts