2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a small industrial air compressor and want to put schedule 40 plastic pipe in my shop for air lines around the shop to various places. I know I have seen this done in other shops. Lowe's plastic pipe fittings all have a warning label "Not for compressed air or gas". My pipe is from another supplier and the fittings state "Pressure". Has anyone had any problems using plastic pipe? I will be running a max of 150 lbs pressure. I want to use 3/8" QD air fittings and plan to run the air directly out of the 60 gallon tank without a regulator (since it doesn't have one. The compressor says it will produce 150# but in actuality it kicks off at about 130#. Has anyone had any problem running air drills and air wrenches at that pressure. I had a smaller compressor before and I ran the regulated air at around 100# through 1/4" air fittings and hose with no problems except my impact wrench was a little weak.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
My neighbor has his garage set up with PVC pipe for his air and it's all schedule 40. No problems.

·
Stealth Mode
324 Posts
I`ve had plastic pipe airlines in my garage and carport for 10 years with no problems. I think I used PVC. I`ve got a short piece of rubber airline from my tank to the PVC airline to isolate any vibrations. Mine is 125 PSI.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Depends probably also how long you run your compressor. Compressed air produces heat which might create problems w/the fittings. To be safe I'd run around 3/4" galvanized pipe or just a retractable air hose. Look up your power tool specs, it'll tell you what minimum pressure needed to get the most power out of your tool. Most I believe are around 90psi... I could be wrong.

·
Dave
1,103 Posts
I've seen PVC used in many shops and use it in mine. I recommend running 3/4" copper from the tank into your shop up to a regulator. This will handle higher pressures. Regulate the pvc pressure around 100psi and you should'nt have any problems. In-line water seperators are handy as well. You can find both at Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight for a couple of bucks. Also, any sunlight will weaken PVC.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a 10hp 250 gallon industrial grade air compressor in my shop. I ran 3/4" galv.
pipe from the tank for the first 10ft feet, then Sch 80 pvc pipe thru the rest of the shop. I have several supply drops, all with regulators and cut-off valves, so I can paint, sandblast, run air tools, bead blaster, etc. Every once in a while, I'll get a leak,
but it's a rarity. Be sure and install some condensate drains... your air tools will thank you for it.

·
**Follow me to certain death**
1,015 Posts
Ive used plastic, but my drops were galvanized. I thow to much stuff around, and busting one of those with 100+ psi is not good. Once I went larger scale, copper was the way to go. Plus with solder on fittings you dont have to cut threads, or get exact sizes. Ran about 80 ft around my shop with water traps and sloped the lines. Copper is not to expensive either and will help condense the air before it goes into your tools or spray gun.

With 60 gallon you wont have probs with impact or tools like that, no matter what size you run.

If you ever plan to sand blast or paint, I would go with 3/4". I dont worry about PSI as much as I would CFM.

You can get regulators cheap, some airtools dont like 130-150 psi on them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are really worried about the pressure...use Schedule 80 pipe. Costs a little more...but it can handle anything!!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Perfect timing as I am going to hook up my compressor tommorow. Alot of folks put a water separator on the compressor. Problem is when the air is hot, the water in the compressed air is in a vapor stage so the separator can't do its job. As the air cools the water in the air condenses and drops out furthe down the line where you don't want it.

My last shop I ran copper tubing into a 5 gallon bucket with water in it to cool the air and then through my water filter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
make sure you use schedule 40 or 80 do not use schedule 10(found at lowe's) air is compressable and water is not. schedule 40 takes 300psi shop air compessors only do a max of 150psi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts