2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I live in NC and surf fish Hatteras Island and the OBX. But...we don't have the the drum and trout like you do.

My favorite uncle was a longtime resident of Aransas Pass. He made his living as an independent commercial fisherman, but I haven't been down for years since he passed away. I still have a good number of kin scattered across Texas.

I am interested in planning a trip down to surf fish. Since it's a three day drive one way, I guess I'm stuck with flying and renting a 4 XI 4. I have all the surf rods and tackle I need, but it would be a pain not to have my rod rack and cargo carrier.

Would anyone have suggestions for me to investigate for a trip? That is, where to fish, Aransas or south? Where I might rent a vehicle, or should I look for a guide? I really cannot afford to hire a guide for a full trip. A normal trip for me on the OBX is a minimum of 4 days in the winter and spring due to conditions not always being "fishable."

Thanks for any info to get me started.
JF

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
If you wanted to fish up the coast a bit at High Island or Surfside or even Matagorda, you won't need 4WD or even a truck for that matter. When are you planning on coming in?

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
You can drive down the beach from Port Aransas in a 2whl drive. The red fish are starting to run and you easily catch them from the beach.
Keep going down 361 and you'll come to park road 22 go left and you'll get to Padre Island National Seashore (PINS). Depending on conditions and some forthought you can drive and fish the beach for 60 miles.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
You can also hit the jetty off of St. Jos in Port Aransas for reds and such. You won't need anything more than a few bucks in your pocket to get a ride on the jetty boat. You can fish the jetty and/or the surf there at the base of the jetty. FUN!

There are also lots of good flounder spots to hit if you make it in late Oct/or Nov.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I think there used to be a guy around the Port A./SPI are who specialized in guiding surf trips. (Some of you guys from around there help me out on this. Wasn't his name Sandifer or something like that? Anybody remember?) Anyway, if he is still guiding, it would probably be worth it for you to hire him for a half day or day on your first day down there. After he helps you out with what's biting, where, on what and a little technique, you should be able to handle things on your own for the rest of your time down there.

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Farmer Jim said:
I think there used to be a guy around the Port A./SPI are who specialized in guiding surf trips. (Some of you guys from around there help me out on this. Wasn't his name Sandifer or something like that? Anybody remember?) Anyway, if he is still guiding, it would probably be worth it for you to hire him for a half day or day on your first day down there. After he helps you out with what's biting, where, on what and a little technique, you should be able to handle things on your own for the rest of your time down there.
Billy Sandifier....One heck of a fisherman and very good guide.

http://www.billysandifer.com/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, Thanks Guys!

I will most likely fly down after T-Giving or after New Years and rent a vehicle. Huston looks like a good place to start south. I do remember from my last trip that you don't need a 4 X 4, but we are used to some pretty bad beach sand and poor weather here, and it's required along our OBX.

Our striper run is in Janurary here, but it's usually elbow to elbow. I'm getting tired of it. Usually, a trip here needs to be 5-6 days to get one or two days of fishing. That's due to wind and tide. I guess it's the same for you. But I fish a 4-6 oz and a 6-8 oz rod, along with some medimum heavy spin gear. So I'm covered. If i't a 10 oz day, we find a beer joint.

I understand there is another oportunity for surf reds in March along the gulf. I have been watching the pics and reports on your board... I'm jealous!

I heard about your site from a gentleman in FL that built a reel for me, and then put me in touch with another gentleman in McAllen I sold a reel to.

I see now why my uncle always bragged on Aransas Pass. His name was Harold Baker, but everyone knew him as Red. No better fellow ever came south from Kansas.

Thanks Again to all of you!

James Fortner

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey Flat,

How about a fishing trip exchange? I'm actually going to be in N.C. during Thanksgiving week. My dad (who lives in Raleigh) is renting a house on the beach somewhere. Would be cool to hook up with another fisherman while there. I fish the surf at PINS as much as I can. In fact, I've got a 3 day trip planned for next week. I don't have a 4x4, but have friends that do. You'd be welcome to hop along for a trip ... .

Seabass

Oh, and for more on surf fishing on the Texas coast, visit www.sfcci.org

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.reddrumtackle.com/

Hey Seabass,

Try out the Red Drum site. It's very much like this one. I don't go that week because it can be elbow to elbow fishing at Hatteras Island, OBX!!!

However, If you are staying south of Hatteras, try Ocracoke Island. Just south of that is the Core Banks, a roadless barrier island that is accessed via a ferry over from Davis, NC.

Get on Algeir Willis Ferry Service web page for schedule. This is NC Coast as it was 100 years ago. You will need 4X4 with 18 lbs of air in your tires on any of these beaches. All your food, water, tow strap, etc. It's usually 8 oz and bait fishing anywhere then. Bait can be a problem on the Core Banks, bring a cast net, or use some fresh cut bait you can catch on shrimp or squid.

There is a good run of rock fish in the Pamlico sound then. I have a friend, Gary Dubiel at www.specfever.com. His trips are out of Oriental or New Bern, NC. But he stays booked pretty steady.

If I decide to go, I'll give you an email. But it will be CROWDED!

James Fortner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts