2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going down to PINS for the first time in late July or early Augest. i am planning to camp on the beach for two to three days but i have a few questions. the first question is that is it worth the 30 or 40 extra mile drive down the beach for big shell beach. i have four wheel drive adn will be targeting sharks but also specks jacks and other game fish. i also have a kayak to get the baits out. i dont want to drive the extra hour and a half or so for the same beach. having never been there is there anything that i need to know. the only surf i have ever fished is galvestons. also if the surf is pretty flat and the water is good should i do any good.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
2 friends from galveston came down and we fished PINS a couple of weeks ago and there here surprised at how rough the surf was. I thought it wasn't that bad. I usually go down until the water clears ("trout green"). usually 30-50 is where I've done my best.

Good Luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
John, it's very hard to say whether or not it is worth the extra drive to the south ends of PINS. Typically water is clearer and therefore holds more fish, but there have been times that I've been in the 50s only to turn around because clearer water was nearer the pavement. Many people will travel the whole length making note of holes, clear water, deep guts, etc...and then double back once all areas have been observed. Just be flexible and if one spot isn't productive after a spell don't be afraid to move on. Good luck

·
Registered
322 Posts
So true, no reason to settle on one spot, especially if you have 3 days.
Set up camp each day at a different location, and you will get a better
perspective and also get to see more of the area.
SEE YA!

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
The high banks is a good bet for some shark and trout action. From the 17 mile marker to the 25 mile marker. This area is known for its crazy currents and can stir bait fish up. This area has alot of shell deposit so you may end up losing alot of tackle but, the "devils elbow" as it is called sometimes can hold alot of fish. Sometimes this is as far as you have to drive. But, its always nice to take the drive all the way down to the jetties. Try and plan your trip when you have a big tidal difference. Like around a new moon or a full moon. These days will take the tide way out giving you a chance to drive all the way down to the jetties in no time at all on Low tide.

I will be making a trip August 7th for my bachelor weekend party on the Beach.

Beginning of August brings in the rain minnows and you will start to see the skipjack thorwing bait all up and down the beach. You may even start to see Tarpon. There is a good bet you will see a Tarpon in August at the jetties.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts