2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a fishing trip to POC, I would appreciate some feed back to the questions I have concerning which I will list and hopefully will be answered to help me make this trip a success. I have not fished POC since my teen years, my family started fishing there after fishing the Galveston area (we lived in Houston and Galveston was pretty convenient for a weekend trip) after fishing this area pretty well, we decided to move on down the coast to try another part of the Texas coast. When we as a family started fishing POC, it was the early 1970s and continued through most of the 70s. Our family would trailer our boat down and spend a week fishing at a time, several times through out the year. We stayed at what I remember was the only two motels there at the time, The Sands and the Tarpon Inn and ate some of our meals at what I recall being Melba's Cafe on the water.

I am sure many things have changed since we fished POC. I am going to list the things which I would like to know at this point and hopefully some one will reply in terms of making my trip the best possible.

1. I want to do some inshore/shallow water and possibly wadding for Red Drum, Speckled Trout and whatever else might be biting. Might do a full day trip or break it down to 2 half day trips. This will be a one party trip (myself) with the guide solely. If the guide wants to take a family member, that would be fine.
2. I would like to go with a guide who fishes out of a Explorer TV 23, Mowdy 22 V Tunnel or a El Pescador 24 V with a tunnel hull as well. I am considering buying one of these type of boats, used of course in the near future if I come across one in my price range, etc. I have owned 7 boats over my years of fishing and am respectful of the laws and considerate of other boat owners wishes when it comes to them operating their water craft.
3. Any guides who fish out of one of these three boats that any one knows of, I would appreciate having their contact information to set up a trip in the near future for the type of fishing I mentioned above. I have my own tackle and would like to use it if possible.
4. I know that there has to be more motel lodging available since the 70's and would appreciate any recommendations as where to stay as well as where to dine. I am thinking of making this trip a 3 night/4 day trip giving me a little time to explore along the coast. I am considering moving possibly down to the coast after the coming new year.

I am sure I have forgotten a few other things, but for now these are the things I would greatly appreciate help with. And whatever happened to Melba's Cafe?

Chuck

·
Registered
76 Posts
You are in for a big change from the 70's as you expect. The fishing this year is still a hit or miss deal since the freeze. The town has become very crowded on weekends to the point of parking problems at all the boat ramps. As for hotels try Captain Qtrs or Poco Loco hotel oe airbnb for a small place. The only guide that I know that runs a tunnel V (Mowdt24) is Dwayne Lowry 713-410-1338.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I know a guide who resides and mostly fishes out of his place in Shoalwater (closer to Seadrift), but he very often picks clients up in POC. He has a Mowdy, but I can't tell you the length. Either way, I'm not sure there are many who know the shallow waters along the south shore of Espiritu Santo Bay (Pringle and beyond) like he does. Also has an airboat, not that that is what you're looking for.

Capt Jeff Larson. - (281) 217-0399

As far as lodging in POC, I can't really help with that, though I will say Jeff has lodging that he used to do as part of his trips. It's in his house and you need to be able to climb stairs. With it being a single occupant, he would probably be able to accommodate you for lodging.

He's got a nice set up. Docks and cleaning table right outside his house and right on the ICW where there is a lighted pier for night fishing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are in for a big change from the 70's as you expect. The fishing this year is still a hit or miss deal since the freeze. The town has become very crowded on weekends to the point of parking problems at all the boat ramps. As for hotels try Captain Qtrs or Poco Loco hotel oe airbnb for a small place. The only guide that I know that runs a tunnel V (Mowdt24) is Dwayne Lowry 713-410-1338.

I appreciate the info. I figured things would be very different. I went by POC about 4 years ago on my way to Port Isabel, did not get a chance to stop and look around. I will look into Mr. Dwayne Lowry. I do not remember coming across his listing when reviewing guides in the POC area.

Chuck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know a guide who resides and mostly fishes out of his place in Shoalwater (closer to Seadrift), but he very often picks clients up in POC. He has a Mowdy, but I can't tell you the length. Either way, I'm not sure there are many who know the shallow waters along the south shore of Espiritu Santo Bay (Pringle and beyond) like he does. Also has an airboat, not that that is what you're looking for.

Capt Jeff Larson. - (281) 217-0399

As far as lodging in POC, I can't really help with that, though I will say Jeff has lodging that he used to do as part of his trips. It's in his house and you need to be able to climb stairs. With it being a single occupant, he would probably be able to accommodate you for lodging.

He's got a nice set up. Docks and cleaning table right outside his house and right on the ICW where there is a lighted pier for night fishing.
I appreciate the info. I will look into Capt. Jeff Larson. Seadrift is an option and if he has lodging that's great as well. I am not apposed to driving to his place if lodging is available and making it a complete package deal.

Chuck

·
Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,505 Posts
I knew I forgot something. In the event that I get to go wadding, can anyone recommend a good pair of wadding boots that I can purchase at Academy or Cabales ? I have both near me.

Chuck
I would go with Barts, Academy doesn't carry them but The Tackle Box and Waterloo in Victoria should keep them on the shelves. Im sure you can get them in POC as well but probably cost a bit more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will look into these Bart's you have mentioned. Guess I will have to purchase a pair along the coast. They are not sold
here in Ft. Worth where I am.

I also have a another question, it concerns Masco Boats. I Never heard of them till recently coming across one that was for sale. It was an older posting and the boat has been sold. It appears to be similar to a Explorer TV, a Mowdy TV and a El Pescador TV, all boats I am looking at as a used purchase.

It appears they are no longer in business? Are they, where they any good? Well constructed, strong transom, strong deck, dry riding. Any problems that stand out in the construction of this boat, mainly the Raider series? I have come across one at auction that might be one to consider if the feed back is positive and the price is right.

Chuck

·
Registered
377 Posts
Footwear Shoe Leg Flooring Grey

Bought these last year at Academy, well constructed flats bootie. Price on sale was believe it or not $29.00! I have used them in fresh and saltwater. Very comfortable. But I note, these are not Ray Proof. They will protect you from oysters and other shells fairly well. At this price (last Year) you can replace 4 or 5 times at the cost of Simms, Patgonia, or other high end brands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 4618691

Bought these last year at Academy, well constructed flats bootie. Price on sale was believe it or not $29.00! I have used them in fresh and saltwater. Very comfortable. But I note, these are not Ray Proof. They will protect you from oysters and other shells fairly well. At this price (last Year) you can replace 4 or 5 times at the cost of Simms, Patgonia, or other high end brands.
I will check those out at Academy. I have had a number of people suggest the Barts brand boot. There pricey, but I guess they are worth it if they are Ray Proof!

·
Registered
8 Posts
bender said:

I can help with your lodging. I have a cozy cottage that’s located in town it’s one bedroom a priced right . Perfect for a couple or single person.

Please send me contact (PM) info for your lodging in POC.
I haven't set a date for my trip yet, but if you want to send your info on your cottage in town, you can email it to me at [email protected] I would like to see pics.
Thanks, Chuck.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,704 Posts
I have a buddy with a 24 foot el pescador cat and I can honestly say that it is one hell of a boat. It really handles the skinny water well and rides great in chop. I would be looking for one of those and may do so soon. I don't know a lot of guides in the POC area, as we have grown up fishing there, and don't use one very often, so not able to comment on what boats they run. I have fished with Gary Gray out of Seadrift and he is a great guy but fishes out of a Shallow sport with is an amazing boat not on your list. I am sure others here can chime in on what you are looking for with lodging.

When I was in POC in the late 70s, we would stay at the Sand Dollar and eat over at Strykers Cafe, or Josies after it opened. I don't recall a place called Melba's but I was 10 or so, and may not have known all the places around town. We used to get a BBQ sandwich at Jeco's along with some gas and fresh dead shrimp or squid that Grampa liked to use.

When you are in POC now, there are about a dozen places to eat off the top of my head and I am sure I am missing some:
Cathy's - this place is always good for solid seafood, great CFS, and a salad bar. They usually have all you can eat shrimp and fish on Fridays I think, but their fried shrimp platter on it's own is more than most big eaters can eat in a sitting.
Josies - Mexican food and cantina - solid food and also offer a cook what you catch. On whatever day they have the homemade fried chicken special, you don't want to miss that.
Hurricane Junction - Bar and bar food. Smoking is allowed here, so sometimes it is better to eat outside if that part is open and the weather cooperates. They have decent bar food but the smoke makes it rather nasty for me to eat there when I have to.
Loco ****** BBQ - Solid BBQ for POC. Great breakfast here when rain or boat troubles hold you in. They also have a bar in another room, so most of the smoke stays over there.
Sharkeys - Also have daily food specials.
The office - bar and offers bar food. Was a great burger last time I was in there.
Speedy Stop - really good enchiladas for a gas station. Breakfast tacos are good here as well as fajita tacos etc. They have a better than average food offering and lines can get long early mornings for quick tacos. Don't miss the bacon and egg toaster sandwich if the lines at the taco counter are long. They have pizza, but it can be hit or miss.
5D Steakhouse - also has daily specials. We've only eaten there a few times as we didn't really have a great experience when they opened and we tried it. It may have improved and they have daily specials too.
There is also a place on the opposite corner from Cathy's called Momma (something's) kitchen I think. They have a lot of tackle, and a limited menu but breakfast is OK. Pizza here can be OK, depending on who is cooking it. Last time we got it, it was burned, so we haven't been willing to give them our money since.

There are lots of us that fish POC a lot, so feel free to ask more questions. Do you expect to be fishing the bay shorelines more, or back lakes around POC/Seadrift? Some boats run skinnier than others, so I figured I would ask. All the boats you mentioned would be decent shallow water boats and fish well deeper at the jetties, etc. But there are more modern options now than the V hulls that will run much skinnier if you are after that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts