2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat is 28' but runs pretty shallow - 17" draft. I have been able to launch at Bastrop and other marinas without issue. My family wants to see the concrete ship and I admin I would like to fish out of Galveston on slopier days. I typically run out of Freeport but closer to Galveston makes it easy when the sea is angry. Also, Galveston offers better Jetty options,etc. All of that to say, I think I can handle a shorter ramp or less than ideal depth after launch than a typical large offshore CC.

Where are yall launching? I understand parking is always an issue so I either leave early or late. I am ok running several miles if it nets me a better ramp, or less worry about my truck.

I have kicked around running out from Bastrop but that is a long haul if the weather kicks up. Also to make any decent time I would have to burn a ton of gas in the ICW.

Any info is appreciated. For reference, from West bay/SLP to the Freeport Jetties back to Bastrop bayou, I grew up fishing those waters and know them well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you normally run outta Freeport, How about Bridge bait? Right on the ICW and about a mile for so from the end of jetties. Good bait supply in the area. And good shallow water action if too rough for offshore!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you normally run outta Freeport, How about Bridge bait? Right on the ICW and about a mile for so from the end of jetties. Good bait supply in the area. And good shallow water action if too rough for offshore!
Bridge bait is fine besides the yahoo's. I own a lot on Oyster creek before Kirbys. However, no concrete ship and we all know that it can be rough as hell going out of Freeport and the same day Galv is smooth sailing.

I do not plan to leave from Galv unless the CFO is with me. When it is hard-core, Freeport. 😀

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, as far as Bridge bait goes; I would rather launch further away and run out. Or, launch the night before and tie up at my lot for the night and drop the trailer.

·
Registered
795 Posts
texas city is a good ramp , but , from time to time a vehicle has been broken into . just dont leave anything in it . what about galveston yacht basin ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Watermans is a great marina in Galveston. Always has bait. Also a nice restaurant, when your finished with your trip you can relax with a little lunch With family or friends.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,363 Posts
Galv yacht basin is private only. For non members they charge $2 per foot to launch and you have to show a big insurance policy.

TCD, Topwater Grill, Eagle Point, Galv Bait and Tackle

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have insurance and all that but I am not paying 60 bucks unless they launch and retrieve my boat for me while I sip my beer with a pinky in the air!

The others have my attention. We love to grab a bite after a long day fishing, I like to have a few beers at that time and my wife pulls the boat home. I'll check into Waterman's.

Sgrem, if you had to rate them in order of best ramp/parking how would they stack up? Bait is not a sticking point, I can get what I need at the jetties with a cast-net and I always let the live ones swim away at the end of the day. If I am fishing Galv it will be CnR anyway so cut dead from my freezer would probably be fine.

Thanks again guys, I know Galv is not the 'best option' for deep water but it is easy to drop the boat in see some neat, stuff, fish, and then ride around a touch.

Freeport is just not as appealing to the wife and daughter.

·
archTech
8,618 Posts
If you're interested in eating afterwards, then I would suggest Waterman's...closer by vehicle, but longer by boat and navigating shallow areas you aren't familiar with could be an issue...or Topwater. Topwater Grill is close to the Texas City dike and shouldn't be an issue to navigate to your destinations. Another plus with Topwater Grill is they will cook your catch of the day if you so desire...

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,363 Posts
Galv bait and tackle can be a shallow ramp and my least favorite.

Personally the last ramp on the left near the end of the TCD is pathetically the nicest ramp in Galv area.

Marina Bar and Grill at Galv yacht basin is good boat up eats on the water too.

Watermans is outstanding eats just a lot further.

Stingaree has good boat up eats.

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
Clear Lake boat ramp can handle that boat. Long ride out to the jetties but a nice senic ride. I use eagle point ramp majority of the time. Topwater ramp is steep but a good place to stop in for food and a beer.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The ramp at 270 on clear creek will handle it too, but it’s a long run out. Stingarees is great food, Watermans is good but pricey. Top Water is always a great place to eat.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I try not to advertise the ramp on 270 but since it's already been mentioned......lol We have been using that ramp exclusively since they built it. My wife and daughters (and me) enjoy the boat ride as much as the fishing and it's nice coming back in through Clear Lake.
The only drawback this time of year on weekends expect LOTS of traffic there in the afternoon/evening. Since they closed the ramps under the 146 bridge on the channel it's increased what was already a busy ramp on weekends. Just have lots of patience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts