2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I can only get you as far as Ambergris Caye but, I can help you out with some flies, though. What I can tell you is that Belize is the only place I have found where the wind blows like it does here on the Texas coast, strong and all the time.

Steve, you might want to come by the Texas Fly Fishers Fly Tying Festival on Saturday, February 6th...never know what kind of information you might be able to pick up. Bob Clouser will be our featured tyer and you can get hands on instruction for the Clouser Minnnow.

Chris

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Chris. I just got back from Mexico and got to fish Isla Blanca for a day. I went 4 for 8 on baby tarpon to 5 pounds and also 1 snook. I will make the show. If you can offer any other destinations for salt fly fishing it would be appreciated. My wife and I are looking to go the last week of March or first week of April. Tarpon, of course, is what I'm looking for. Thanks again. PS She just brought up Los Roques this morning but I don't want to be on a plane for 5 hours.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Steve, I would highly recommend Los Roques, if it weren't for that one little man with the bad hair cut. That place is great and 5 hours is not much time to spend on a plane when you are headed to paradise for a week.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Placencia is great. I stayed at http://www.robertsgrove.com/ We fished a few days...one day weather was bad so we fished up Monkey River for tarpon and snook. The town of Placencia is small compared to San Pedro (Ambergris) so there are fewer options for dinner, drinks, etc.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Blue Horizon Lodge is one of the best permit locations any where. It is operated by the Westby brothers. It is on a Cay Between Placencia and Dangriga. I have been in the area but not fished and always hoped to go back. The lodge is basic and not for non fisher people. There are at least three other options in that area but I don't have first hand experience with them. Whipray, Blue Dolphin, Westwind, and maybe some others.

Mainland locations involve a long run to the reef and sometimes it will be too windy for comfort. March is ideal for permit, juvy Tarpon will be in the river but not sure about any big Tarpon till early summer.

Unless things have changed Belize is/was a very safe place. But I would get first hand reports prior to going. Parts of Belize City are questionable just like most cities anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts