2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I know this isn't saltwater but these are the boards I'm used to.

Any of you know of a good place in the Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney area that you can take a 9 year old to with a pretty good expectation of catching something?

We had gone to the Russell Creek park in Plano where they have a pond before. Had caught plenty of panfish but went last nite and not even a bite - and too many people.

Need a little more quite spot with more fish, less people.

Thanks,
Earl

·
Old Fart (junior grade)
450 Posts
Here's a few

Earl you are within an hours drive of some of the best freshwater fishing in the state!
Lakes Fork, Cooper, Tawakoni, Ray Roberts, Texoma, Lavon etc, etc, are just a few

When the weather is cooler, TP&W stocks Rainbow Trout in the McKinney city park on the east side of Hwy 75 just south of Bob Tomes Ford, and in Sherman at the city park at FM 1417 at Hwy 56.

For a quick fix, travel east on Hwy 380 to the causeway over Lake Lavon. (about 15 to 20 minutes) You will usually see several people parked in the center divider, fishing from the bridge. Or try one of the several public parks on the lake.

Or head north on Hwy 75 to the Denison Dam exit (I think it is mile marker 72) and go either to the spillway or Eisenhower State Park. You can bank fish either location, and there are bait shops at both.

Try one of the piers near the boat houses, (in the State Park) there is usually something tugging on a line there and the water is clear enough for the kids to see the fish swimming by. If they get bored, the swimming area is nearby and they are likely to see deer wandering thru the park.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Earl,
Bethany Lakes Park in Allen is kid friendly. Don't expect much other than perch, until trout are released in the winter. Stop by Petsmart and get some waxworms for bait and fish under a cork, if you want perch. Leave your offshore stuff at home. Ha! Jerry

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, added those places to the list. There's alot of places around - more than I guessed. Was just looking for pretty close stuff, for evening runs and such.

If I had had my choice we'd be in the country and I'd have a stocked pond but my wife has a fear of slithery things (plus if you ask me an overzealous love affair with urban Wallmarts)!

Thanks again, Earl

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
and Target? Kohls? Shopping malls? I have the same problem having 2-3 of each one within 10 miles of our house.....at least there are 3 academy stores within 10 miles also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts