2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a pit I built a few yrs ago.......works great.....it has baffles in below the rack so the smoke and heat travel across the bottom and come up on the opposite side of the fire box ....come up and across the meat and then out the stack.....good thing about the pit is you can dampen the heat back to 200 degrees to 250 degrees and hold it for over 4 hours without interuption

It is mounted with a shimmed 3' pipe inside a 4" pipe with a teflon slide plate between two steel rings

Attachments

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
mmmmm, i like the idea of the baffle on the bottom. I have seen that before on a trailer smoker that had holes drilled along the way so smoke was even in the entire pit. I like
23Buds left. Anybody got more ideas? Need some for the new one. the old girl is beyond resonable repair.......sad indeed. sad sad sad. You will always have a place in my heart ole girl. We had some good times

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can see my wooden smoker for sausage in the background......hint...the one that looks like an outhouse

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
Nice pit.Like the design,but looks like was served on the Titanic for a while...lol.Fresh paint job would be perfect.I love BBQ pits...:cheers:

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
you should clean that ole gurl up a little. I think its a little rusty. TLC and get her looking new again then I will take it when you pass out after I feed you some beerz

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
The baffle under the meat works good. Add some pans with water/juice/fruit slices and it keeps the meat real moist. Smokes/cooks the meat even. 24 you might want to add that to your list of items for the new girl.....uh, pit.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
The baffle under the meat works good. Add some pans with water/juice/fruit slices and it keeps the meat real moist. Smokes/cooks the meat even. 24 you might want to add that to your list of items for the new girl.....uh, pit.
I got one in the works now. Gathering up ideas to create the best backyard sized smoker in history! Oh yes, she will be sweet. Keep the ideas flowin. Hydra, can you tell the difference with water, juice etc in the smoker? I can't maybe its just me but I never found a difference. Does it need to boil or what?

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
i like that cencept .. i don't think i've ever seen anything like it .. got a pic with the lid up?

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
Looking at it a little further,looks like the heat transfer opening is a little small.Where the firebox is welded to the main cooker.Firebox looks like it was welded low on the pit.X2 on the pictures with it open.:cheers:

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
No, it doesn't boil, just simmer/evaporate in the smoke chamber, helps to keep the meat moist. Who know whether the juice/fruit actually works, we almost always did it when we were at cook offs. I know that juice helps when you marinate in it, but not sure about the vapors, probably not, but looks cool!!!!!!! Besides, we NORMALLY drink a little when we barbecue, so almost anything that is suggested sounds good!!!!!

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
No offense, but please no injunears. I am sure 24 can afford a new pit, but not if they get a hold of it!!!! I think the school of hard knocks will work for a smoker!!!!! And I have heard him crying for toooooo long and he needs one quick!!!!!! The depression is gettin to him. He never even says "did you eat it" anymore, sad.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Just go to www.kamado.com and be done with it.

Will
*** is that? I believe I would get my arse kicked for ownin that. Rightfully so! Dayum. does it cook well?

No offense, but please no injunears. I am sure 24 can afford a new pit, but not if they get a hold of it!!!! I think the school of hard knocks will work for a smoker!!!!! And I have heard him crying for toooooo long and he needs one quick!!!!!! The depression is gettin to him. He never even says "did you eat it" anymore, sad.
I got me a pit in the works. No worries folks! No worries. It will take some time but its gunna rock! Can you say Stainless ALL the way!

You can eat that! BAM 24Buds iz back strong!:rotfl: Life is good and BILLYSTIX ROCKS!

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
Git u sum then. Never had a SS pit, but you sure will keep from it rottin out. You gotta post food **** once it's working.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
*** is that? I believe I would get my arse kicked for ownin that. Rightfully so! Dayum. does it cook well?

I got me a pit in the works. No worries folks! No worries. It will take some time but its gunna rock! Can you say Stainless ALL the way!

You can eat that! BAM 24Buds iz back strong!:rotfl: Life is good and BILLYSTIX ROCKS!
They cook awesome. One bag of lump charcoal in a #7 and I can hold 200 degrees for over 24 hours easily or if need be I can get it up to 550 degrees no problem. Its a simple design that will hold the heat better than a metal pit. The Green Egg works on the same principle but they are not as thick as the kamado's. Don't let the 'purty' exterior fool ya, Kamado's are probably one of the best smoker/grills on the market. I've had mine for about 5 years and have yet to receive an arse whoopin' over it. I have had many satisfied dinner guests though.:smile:

Here is a pic that gives you an idea of the thickness of the ceramic

1 - 20 of 33 Posts