2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and i just looked at a house in the Friendswood area that we are thinking about making an offer on, however it has a pipeline running through the front yard about 15 yards from the house (the owner referred to it as the an Amoco pipeline but we are not sure if it is natural gas or oil or some other product). We are wondering if its safe to have a pipeline running through our front yard. Other than that we love the house. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,483 Posts
There should be a marker identifying the owner, and product listed. Also there should be a number on the marker post as well.
I would want to know the product, the size of the line, when it was put in and whether its an active line or not and also the depth.

As far as safety goes, yes they are safe for the most part, until something happens which isnt very likely. However with that said, Pipeline companies take great care on making sure the pipeline is safe and not getting into a dangerous condition. Being 15ft from your house your house is probably in their right of way, if they have to come dig it up or do any maitenance on it, your yard will be dug up, but most companies will make it right after they get through. generally if they have a line going through a residential area, it will be a fairly heavy wall pipe and the likelyhood of anything happening in the future is probably super slim.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
I am a pipelime surveyor. I will give my input. Safety is probably the least of your concerns. Just know it is owned by the company and they have access to the Right Of Way at any time. They will usually let you know and coordinate with you but they only do this as a courtesy. It depends on the company, some are great so you wouldn't mind haveing it cause they take care of of you. Some don't and it can be a nightmare. It is alot of situational dependant.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I am in the pipeline construction business and it is as safe as any electrical or other utility in your front yard, however, just as you are asking questions about it and are a little skeptical (which is perfectly okay to be) so will the next prospective buyers.

Think of resell rather than safety as that will be your biggest enemy IMO.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
You may want to double check the availability and cost of insurance.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I work in pipeline control (not for Amoco) and i live just off of a pipeline right of way. What does that tell you?

Your more likely to get hurt by those chemicals in the back of the truck they end up in than you are to ever even know that pipe is actually in the ground. That being said,

CALL BEFORE YOU DIG!!

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
My wife and i just looked at a house in the Friendswood area that we are thinking about making an offer on, however it has a pipeline running through the front yard about 15 yards from the house (the owner referred to it as the an Amoco pipeline but we are not sure if it is natural gas or oil or some other product). We are wondering if its safe to have a pipeline running through our front yard. Other than that we love the house. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
It's very safe.... however when it does go wrong .. it's bad .. check out these pics of the big one in VA back in 2008 http://www.energyindustryphotos.com/pipeline_blowout_photos_and_natu.htm

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
I am in the pipeline construction business and it is as safe as any electrical or other utility in your front yard, however, just as you are asking questions about it and are a little skeptical (which is perfectly okay to be) so will the next prospective buyers.

what he said.

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
If it is pump grade gasoline I suggest getting your hot tap machine ready just in case tax & trade passes.

I would have no issues with buying the house. Kind of like buying near an airport & being worried about planes falling out of the sky & crashing into your house. Not a realistic concern. Not very likely you will ever have any safety issues.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
I agree with Shredded Evidence. Just asking the question is your answer. Resale will be an issue and personally I would not like my yard dug up if at all possible, and overall I would want my family to "feel" safe. Too risky on three counts.
RT

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
Having been in the pipeline business for almost 15 years, I can tell you that last thing any pipeline operator ever wants is a leak.

Generally, a pipeline that is owned by a "Big Oil" company gets a little more attention due to the fact that the company's name is at stake if there is a problem.

Everyone on the planet remembers the name of the company that owned the ship that ran around in Prince William Sound, but very few people remember the pipeline operator that had a leak in Bellingham Washington that killed 3 people.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
If it is pump grade gasoline I suggest getting your hot tap machine ready just in case tax & trade passes.
We actually caught a guy doing that in Los Angeles. Pipeline leak detection kept saying we were running short. Turns out someone had a hot tapped into the pipeline after accessing it in the basement of a building. He got caught when he go greedy and loaded a pretty good size tank.(about 50 bbls)

Just to give you an idea on how accurate our systems were. When we had a crew cut through an active gasoline pipeline in California, the controller in Houston not only saw the leak on his control board, but he had the line shutdown before the construction crew was able to call him to tell him what happened.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Who in the heck would have the gonads to hot tap a gas pipeline?Thats asking for a death sentence right if something goes wrong?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
We once lived with a pipeline behind our house and had no instances to raise any concern; however I would if it ran through the front yard. Look at this link and maybe this would answer some questions on your responsibilities. Also remember these rideaways must be maintained annually meaning you can't have any shrubs or trees in that area.

http://www.onecalltexas.com/faq.html

X2

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd have no issues with it at all. But as others have said - call before you dig. Our neigbors across the street had a line broken when their pool installer broke a gas line - big big fire !

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Who in the heck would have the gonads to hot tap a gas pipeline?Thats asking for a death sentence right if something goes wrong?
Well keep in mind there are some who do this for a living so this might come second nature. I can't say id ever fall into the temptation but could see how some might in desperate times esp when all the parts are readily available.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts