2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok post up your troubles, incidents, learning experience for others. Like in the sprinkler thread you could help someone who forgot about something.

I had all the pipes wrapped, faucets on and thought I was good to go. Wife tells me this morning the water is off color and water pressure is kinda low. I thought maybe the city lost a pipe went out to our main all is good no pipe broke in the attic all must be well on our side. Getting ready for a church event I hit the shower and the water pressure is really low. Oh dang I forgot about the hose behind the garage!!! Sure enough there is a new pond in West Columbia and its 600pm nothing is open close to where I live. so I did some jerry riggin with pvc and metal parts to put a ball valve back on for tonight and will fix with pvc tomorrow after church. I just wanted to vent/throw this out there cause its easy to forget things that are out of site out of mind.

Dan

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
No problems here. Knock on wood....
I havent wrapped anything, but there are only two exposed pipes, one is the main, and the other is for a hose in the back yard. Both have only about 10" of exposed pipe and while I suppose thats enough to cause problems, I havent had any. Then again, the toilet gets flushed several times a night at my house, so maybe it doesnt have time to freeze.

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
848 Posts
No problems so far, but our water was off color this morning for some reason, but pressure was normal.

Neighbor next door had two busted pipes in the attic he didn't know were not wrapped.

As I was driving around town, I saw three or four of those sprinkler pop off valve's gushing water like fountains. There's going to be allot of money made off those thingy's, seems as though everyone didn't give those much thought.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
guess im the goofball here!!!

im in an older ranch style house that is on pier/beam.

i opened the water valves outside and cracked one cold water in the kitchen. never even crossed my mind to crack the hotwater.

hotwater frooze. wife and kids stayed in a hotel last night. i got it thawed out today only to here the tell tell sound of water! pipe busted under the house.

had to cut off the main and now get to crawl under the house in the morn after working all night!

fun....

summer project--- change all the galvanize pipe to pvc and wrap them!

·
11,766 Posts
Like Ninja I'm off the ground. Had one connection seperate to the shower. Easy fix. Hot water line to the washing machine broke. Another easy fix. I will be making some changes to the existing piping when it warms up. Going to PVC and getting rid of the galvanized.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Not taking any chances. Have 2 5gallon container to flush toilet with during the night. House main valve will be shut off and all faucets inside and outside will be opened to drain. Then compressed air blown through the cold water lines.

It is easier to do all that instead of patching copper lines in the attic and repairing wet sheetrock.

·
Charter Member
5,925 Posts
WE made it OK last night with no problems. There is only a short piece of galv pipe on the supply line to the house that is exposed. Maybe 18 inches. I have it wrapped with new foam pipe insulation and a dab or two of DUCK TAPE! :)

Two faucets protrude from the brick and they are both covered with the foam covers available at Lowes.

I had several drips throughout the house with both hot and cold water dripping. Before hitting the sack about 12:30am, I flushed both toilets also. Plan is the same for tonight.

While driving through LaPorte this afternoon on Hwy 146, I spotted a section of pipe sticking up out of the ground several feet with a nice geyser spraying water.

Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wifes 2 nieces had to stay the weekend with 2 babies because they just moved and didnt have the gas turned on. I cant wait until monday either their leaving or Im going to Louisana to work.

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
this works for me. i have an outside water spigot rigged up to a 100 foot hose and a nozzle on the end. i jacked the hose up in the tree and set the nozzle to mist. the water trickles all night, waters the grass, and makes an icicle tree which the kids like. as long as the water keeps moving, it shouldn't freeze. i just checked the mist on the sidewalk and has yet to freeze there. the ice that fell off the tree is still melting. i thought it was supposed to be 20 tonight. gauge says right now its 29. lol.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
yep, as posted in sprinkler thread, me neighbor was ringing my doorbell at 7 am telling me I had a leak, not sure how long it was running or how much my water bill will be.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
I've got all the beer bottles in the refrigerator out in the barn so that they won't freeze...

One broken pipe under the house yesterday (pier and beam), fixed that, one broken in the barn, just shut off the supply for now.. We'll see what the toll was last night in a few hours... Both days, the pressure switch nipple froze on the well: at least that's an easy fix...

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
I've got all the beer bottles in the refrigerator out in the barn so that they won't freeze...

One broken pipe under the house yesterday (pier and beam), fixed that, one broken in the barn, just shut off the supply for now.. We'll see what the toll was last night in a few hours... Both days, the pressure switch nipple froze on the well: at least that's an easy fix...
That is irresponsible...you should be more attentive to the nipples. Good job saving the beer. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Got the water back on today!

my break was on a 12' section of galv. that came from under ground and went to both bathrooms.

dug out enough to crawl under the house. put down some plastic and crawled under and went to work.

I had to cut the pipe and unscrew it from 2 t's. couldnt get it to break so i took a piece of rag and little bit of lighter fluid and wrapped the t's, lit on fire for a couple min and wala! pipes broke easy!!!!!

installed cpcv and the wife is happy once again!

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Galvenized hot water pipe to washer blew out on the bottom side of the pipe. Pipe was corroded bad and coulded seperate the short joint from the 90's. Had to cut right below the 90 out of the ground. Took a die and was going to thread the pipe sticking out of ground. Should have been an easy fix. Well while turing the die it broke of the pipe below ground level. All the pipe was corroded bad. Now I am sitting in the house with water off. Informed landlord and guess I am doing some digging. I gotta get her to take care of this. Hope she isn't a B*itch about it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts