2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys. I had a 1 1/2" galvenized pipe break above ground. I cut it off below a 90 that was seized up and so rusted it would have never come apart. I tried to rethread the piece above the ground. I had about 6 inches sticking out of the ground. Well it broke again below ground about 2 inches while trying to rethread it with a die. I have dug down now and have about 5 inches exposed. I don't think I will be albe to rethread it by hand. Any suggestions?

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
Alright guys. I had a 1 1/2" galvenized pipe break above ground. I cut it off below a 90 that was seized up and so rusted it would have never come apart. I tried to rethread the piece above the ground. I had about 6 inches sticking out of the ground. Well it broke again below ground about 2 inches while trying to rethread it with a die. I have dug down now and have about 5 inches exposed. I don't think I will be albe to rethread it by hand. Any suggestions?
TURN IT OFF OR CAP IT. YOU NEED THAT LINE? IF NOT CAP IT.

CALL A PLUMBER

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I can rethread it. I think it will break again. I had to really crank on it to try and thread it and that is what caused the pipe to twist and break. It is the hot water line running to washer.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Sounds like you will have to use a compression union. I'd come off the union with CPVC for hot water. 1-1/2" seems rather large for a hot water feed.

·
Houston/POC
124 Posts
Dig Down

FS

Dig down about 18" to 24". There should be a 90 degree union where the up-pipe screws into the line going to the meter. Unscrew the old pipe and replace with a new pipe. Also a good time to insulate the pipe below ground for the next deep freeze.

***It is the hot water line running to washer. Different line same concept I think??***

CJ

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Either use a dresser coupling and go with PVC or you can cut the pipe about 1/4 inch above the fitting and use a tiny coal chizzle and hammer and tap the threads inward until you can pry the pipe threads out of the 90. I've done this before and it can be done but takes a while. It sounds like your pipes are in pretty bad shape. You might concider replacing the galvanized pipe. Good luck.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
Aren't you in a rent house (I thought I saw that in another thread)? If so, I'd call my landlord and tell him to send a plumber or call a plumber and send the bill to the landlord with my next rent check deducting the amount of the repair.

Technically, if you don't own that house, you're breaking the law by fixing it yourself. Are you going to get caught, probably not but if God forbid anything were ever to go wrong with your fix, you could be in trouble. I sure wouldn't want to bother with it for someone else's property.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It was 1/2 inch pipe sorry typo. The old pipe was so corroded all the joints are seized together. Lots of corrosion. I had to use 1/2" compression union then 3/4" CPVC comeing out of that. Couldn't dig down anyore because of other pipes and HUge root, andit being up right behing the garage. Ran within 3 inches of garage. I got it fixed now with no leaks. Thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts