2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing all those pictures from the weekend was killing me. So with my wifes blessing I headed out early Wednesday morning for PINS. Arrived on the beach around 9 am. Condtions were far from perfect light rain, winds 10-15 mph NE. Drving was easy I quickly made it down in the 30's were there were birds working everywhere. I stopped around the 32 to work the birds. They were pretty far out so I put on a 3 oz spoon that looks like a minnow and launched it out on my Penn 7500 spinner. It made the distance and wham the fight was on. I have no idea what this was but it about spooled my 7500, never jumped. The line went slack and I reeled it back in to find the spoon was now minus the hook and split ring. After rerigging I caught a very large menhaden around 10 inches and several skipjack. I rigged them up and put out 2 lines, 1 with the about a half a skipjack and the other with the menhaden. I got a great run on the menhaden, but the hooked pulled loose when I started fighting it. After another hour or so and no runs I decided to head south to gods country. Driving was great 2WD. More birds in the 40's and I made it to the jetty never having to go into 4wd. There were hundreds if not thousands of birds working the beach at the jetty. I messed around there for a while catching skipjack and decided to head to a blow out and setup up camp. I ate a late lunch and set out both rigs baited with skipjack. I cast the daiwa sealine-x HV-50 just past the first bar and the 9/0 was put in the wade gut which was around chest deep. It was getting a little cool because of the breeze and the light rain and decided to change into some dry clothes. I no sooner got stripped then the diawa gooes off screaming. Im butt naked with my dry clothes still buried in the truck in my pack. Being a commited fisherman I chose the fish over the clothes and ran out and fought and landed the fish. I was watching the beach for traffic, good thing it was a week day. Got it on the beach and went and put my shorts, grabbed the camera and snapped a couple of pics of a nice 4 foot black tip. Easy release and it swam right off. After baiting back up and getting the diawa back out I went to resume what I started, putting on some dry clothes. This time I had just gotten my dry shirt on and wham the 9/0 goes off. Im thinkinng hmmmmmmm JC must be onto something with this naked fishing stuff. I did manage to get my shorts on this time and went out and grabbed the rod. Much heavier fish started running up the beach. No match for 800 yards of #50 big game on the 9/0 though. When I got the fish to the beach my first impression was, I have no idea what this is. It had no black tipped dorsal and was very green. It also looked too big to be a black tip as it measured right at 6 foot. I got a couple of pics and released it quicky, swam off easily. Shrotly after this the line went slack on the diawa reeled it in to find it had been cut off above the shock leader. By the time I got the shock leader and rig replaced it was getting dark. Skipjacks were thick at the beach driving rain minnows up to the beach. The rain minnows were jumping up onto the beach to avoid them. I decided with as much bait as there was in the water and the fact it was almsot dark, it might not be wise to wade back out. So I just cast baits back out. I go no more hits the remainder of the evening. Spent a restless night in the hotel Toyota as I hate sleeping in a tent in the rain. I have the tent come down on me in adverse conditions a couple of times and it makes for a very rude awakening. Thursday early I headed for the jetty and the birds were no where to be found. There was however fish busting up bait on the channel side. I started casting coehoe minnow and got great hit and hootup fought the fish all the way to the rocks and lost it, a nice spainish mac. Cast back out and hooked and quickly landed a beautiful 14 inch snook...woo hoo my first snook. I decided to go fish the little groin that goes off the side of the jetty as I have caught trout there many times. I quickly started catching trout there all told 10 trout in about 20 minutes all in the 12-16 in range, all released. They were hiting lime and chartuese and black and silver. I had to be back in Houston that evening and so I went back and broke camp and started heading back north. In the 30's the birds were again thick. I stopped and fished a while and talked to a guy there. He was freelineing skipjacks under the birds said he had caught a 4 and 5 foot black tip. Sounds like a pretty good strategy. I passed capt Billy a little further down. He had a client that appeared to be shark fishing under the birds. I rolled off the beach in early afternoon after a great trip. This trip reminded me very much of last year about this time. There is bait everywhere from menhaden to skipjacks to rain minnows to tiny little shad and anchovies. If your thinking about a PINS trip GO, if I can catch fish anyone can.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
If your thinking about a PINS trip GO, if I can catch fish anyone can.

Those are the most motivating words I have ever heard. I have never been to PINS but that itch needs scratching real bad!

I too live in Houston, How long it that trek down to PINS. Also if you need someone to ride shot gun next time drop a line on the board. Week days are good for me also.

Tall Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tall Steve said:
If your thinking about a PINS trip GO, if I can catch fish anyone can.

Those are the most motivating words I have ever heard. I have never been to PINS but that itch needs scratching real bad!

I too live in Houston, How long it that trek down to PINS. Also if you need someone to ride shot gun next time drop a line on the board. Week days are good for me also.

Tall Steve
The drive is 5 hours to the beach including stops for fuel and bait. The trip down is ususally not too bad it's full of anticipation and hope. The drive back can be grueling. Im an old guy but I fish hard and Im usually pretty beat on the way home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts