2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going back through some of my game cam pics and videos trying to pattern the big pig. Tonight is the night. Fullest moon, cold, clear skies. I plan to crawl up into the tripod an hour or so before dark and wait him out. I've seen that he generally shows up by 8PM on most nights, but sometimes it's 2am. Weird, but he hardly shows at any other times. And that has been consistent for two months now. I'll either get him or the cold and boredom will get me.

I would have figured that thunderstorms would send them piggies running for cover. Guess not. Perhaps a few lightning rods stuck in piles of corn could be a new way to thin out the hogs. :lol:

Anyway, here's a cool pig video. Keep watching to the right and you'll catch a neat glimpse of the beast lit up by the lightning.

View My Video

And another. Again, the beast is to the far right.

View My Video

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
That Big pig is huge..makes all the others look like rats compared to it..wow
Pack sum clean undies..

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I put the sneak on them about 8pm last night.

My original plan was to get in the tripod before dark and then use the moonlight for a shot. So much for having a plan. Work held me up a bit and I got to the property just after dark. I eased out in a big circle to get south of the feeder and work back into the wind figuring they were already there. I was still 150yds+ out when I started hearing them fighting at the feeder. I got to the tripod and realized the moon wasn't near bright enough behind the high clouds to even think about getting a shot.

I spent the next 30 minutes creeping up sloooowly to my brush pile bow blind hoping that closing the distance would help. I got there just as the moon broke through the clouds. Probably 20+ pigs in and around the feeder pen, including the beast. I shouldered the .450 and started looking for a shot. Big guy had body guards all around him blocking his vitals. His head was even hidden by smaller pigs. I probably could've tried something like a spine shot, but the crosshairs were tough to locate on the black pigs even with the moon. I had the scope set on 1.5X and he dang near filled up the view.

As I was patiently waiting for the shot a huge cloud bank rolled over the moon and turned out the lights. As bad as I wanted to go ahead and shoot, I didn't want to blow it either. I figure I'll only get one opportunity on him and I really want a Euro mount of this one. I sat tight hoping for another break in the clouds, but never got it. They finished off the corn and big guy was the first to leave. Within a few minutes they were all gone. I set off the feeder and sat in the bow blind for a bit hoping things might work out. Nadda.

This morning I rigged up some solar LED lights on the feeder. Next time I won't need no stinking moonlight! I realize it's just a pig and most folks would say to just start blasting. But this deal has gotten personal. Two destroyed feeders, many lbs of corn dumped, evaded by him twice now. I could care less about the rest of these critters. I want this one. LMAO

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Them big ones get smart quick. You are like me, I will target one specific hog in an area if I pattern him on the cams. It seldom works for me, but good luck. They change patterns on wind direction, moon phase, pressure, etc. Just when you figure one out, he changes what hes been doing. It is fun to try. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's been there almost every night for the last month and a half. I just haven't wanted to hunt him until after I got my deer out of the way. Four deer and two pigs are in the freezer so it's time to play with the big'un.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my buddies lightened up one of the video captures. Pretty cool b/c you can see the top strand of wire on my feeder pen across the top of the pig. For reference, that wire is about belt high. I'm gonna need a frontend loader to get that sucker picked up. lmao

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wicked looking vids!

If you have any more problems wacking that big boy I have: a gen III mum, gen III pvs 14, and a gen III d-760 NVD's. Both mono's are helmet mounted and the d760 is on a fulton .308 upper with a AAC 7.62 can. You can see them commin at 1000 yards with the 760.

You do the shootin and i'll video! :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts