2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like the 9 months a year of protein is paying off...especially for being 2 hours from Sugar Land! Going to be a great year from what I can see!

Attachments

·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right up 111 east of Morales. We back up to a one of the rivers that flows into the Navidad. We have about 4 different landscapes on the ranch...quite bizarre but makes for a great exotics ranch.

We have seen much bigger deer the last 2 years. Protein feeding almost 8 months out of the year and corn year round.

·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5000ac are high fenced and the other 1000 are not. weird set up...just bought the place 4 years ago and have implemented strict management ever since. last year we had 70 doe permits. we can hardly keep up with management procedures there are so many deer. 20 deer to every ac is what the biologist estimated with the drive through. You can't speed on fourwheelers through the sonderas bc the likelihood of having a deer run out in front of you is too common. Not to mention the pigs are out of control. As soon as I get my camera back I'll post pics of groups of hogs running 30-40 deep.

anybody want to pig hunt?

·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
once things slow down and it cools off, let geaux!

we also have a ton of predator; bobcat, coyote, panther, shot a **** that looked like it weighed 20+lbs, possum etc. Im trying to get the rancher next to our place to send me the pic of a panther taking down one of his horses...healers went crazy one night around 2am...hit the lights and panther had him around the neck. horse died. panther did too.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I would say that dude in the 1st pic is in the 190's to 200 and is ready to be shot. You've obviously got great genetics on that place and he has been doing his share of breeding already. Bust 'im if you get the chance.

From the looks of him in that pic he is 6½ or more...

·
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We actually brought in the Buck(from the first picture) and several others from my best friends exotic game ranch outside of Bandera. believe it or not, that buck in the 1st pic is one of the smaller bucks on their ranch! We have been carefully breeding with a private biologist to ensure proper genetics occur and try to prevent mutations as much as possible. that being said, we have enormous amounts of deer in our area its just they happen to be smaller bodied than those in w tx. also, we've noticed that most of our deer can clean our high fence...we think they come back bc they are under extremely low pressure and we feed them really great protein mixtures with corn. not to mention they get koolaid corn treats about once a week.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Blue Water Breaux said:
5000ac are high fenced and the other 1000 are not. weird set up...just bought the place 4 years ago and have implemented strict management ever since. last year we had 70 doe permits. we can hardly keep up with management procedures there are so many deer. 20 deer to every ac is what the biologist estimated with the drive through. You can't speed on fourwheelers through the sonderas bc the likelihood of having a deer run out in front of you is too common. Not to mention the pigs are out of control. As soon as I get my camera back I'll post pics of groups of hogs running 30-40 deep.

anybody want to pig hunt?
Breaux,
20 deer per acre? Is that correct or a mistype? Not trying to start anything, just asking. 100,000 deer on 5000 acres and only 70 doe permits.
Great looking deer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.