2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 20# of venison/pork sausage ground up ready to be stuffed. I want to add jalapeno to it but want to get some opinions on ratio to add to meat, and fresh or pickled.......I would like it spicy, but not sweat dripping hot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would go with fresh if you're putting them in sausage or cooking with them period, they give a better flavor and spice. I do however like pickled jalapenos with my mexican food and when eating them by themselves.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Use fresh jalapenos. You can remove the seeds and they will not be as hot. Chop it up very fine and I like to add it before I grind the meat. You have already ground the meat, so make sure it gets mixed in real good. As said before one every two pounds should be good.

Professor Jones

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well I guess I am the lone descending voice that uses pickled sliced jalapenos? I add 1 OZ. Per pound and I prefer to run the jalapeno's thru the grinder with the meat. I think this helps spread the flavor thru the sausage more evenly. Somepeople just add the slices and then you end up with "hot spots". This makes a pretty spicy sausage but it is not too hot in my opinion.

Last year I made some milder and the wife and kids preferred itmuch better. I reduced the Jalapeno content and increased the cheese content and it made a great sausage that everyone could enjoy.

On my Jalapeno / cheese sausage I only add salt, pepper and LOTS of garlic!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts