2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a 2cooler's rig? I guess the durango tows it but dang looks like this person needs a bigger truck. Saw it in Kemah at Target parking lot. I had to take a pic with my phone to share. I wish I would have snapped a pic on the way there. I saw a F350 4x4 crew cab dulley pulling a very small boat. They needed to trade boats! *L*

Attachments

·
Somewhere Between Insanity and Texas
8,388 Posts
He's probably pushing his towing capacity, but he may be within it. His biggest problem would be stopping it. Also, the short wheelbase on the Durango isn't condusive to towing a 40' trailer.

·
I am haunted by still waters.
1,634 Posts
I suspect he was transporting the boat to another location (crazy anyway). If he did get it launched with out being dragged in, he would NEVER get that boat out. Not just power issue, but weight ratio problems.

All that said, I would not be surprised if I actually saw it happening. Boat ramps are full of comedic morons.

GCB

·
Somewhere Between Insanity and Texas
8,388 Posts
I've seen some boats that large being pulled out by Durangos, Toyota Sequoias, etc. They can do it, but 4wd definitely helps! ;) That Durango probably has the same powertrain as the 1/2 ton truck, with the same Hemi motor.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
ShadMan said:
I've seen some boats that large being pulled out by Durangos, Toyota Sequoias, etc. They can do it, but 4wd definitely helps! ;) That Durango probably has the same powertrain as the 1/2 ton truck, with the same Hemi motor.
Looks like an old style Durango that had the Magnum engine, not the Hemi version, but I have been wrong 1 other time in my life! :wink:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Durango

I pull a trailer weighing about 5500lbs with my Durango (offroad rig), and it's all she can handle. I have an upgraded tranny with the 360 Magnum (5.9L), so my Durango is on the high end of what one will do. I can tell you that the Durango in that picture DOES NOT have a Hemi, but it would have to be a 4x4 to get the boat up the ramp. They didn't make them with Hemis in that style. I would not pull that boat with my Durango. That guy is asking for trouble down the road on his tranny, but then again it looks like his D is getting the job done. To each their own. I'd be more worried about the short wheelbase and stability for that long trailer. That boat would be hard to stop in a crunch.

·
Registered
10,106 Posts
that aint nothin. I ran into a guy in portA pulling a 30', twin engine, cuddy cabin style boat with a freakin late 80s early 90s model RANGER. I talked to him for a brief moment and asked him if he is crazy. He said that he only pulls it from his storage unit down to the docks which is about 1 mile and has been doing it for a few years with no problems. It was a 2 wheel drive ranger. In case none of you have ever pulled out a big boat with a small truck, tongue weight helps but I think 800 lbs tongue weight would crush that ranger. He did use the motors to get him clear of the water though and shut them off right after the trailer wheels broke out of the water. 2 person operation.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
Argo said:
that aint nothin. I ran into a guy in portA pulling a 30', twin engine, cuddy cabin style boat with a freakin late 80s early 90s model RANGER. I talked to him for a brief moment and asked him if he is crazy. He said that he only pulls it from his storage unit down to the docks which is about 1 mile and has been doing it for a few years with no problems. It was a 2 wheel drive ranger. In case none of you have ever pulled out a big boat with a small truck, tongue weight helps but I think 800 lbs tongue weight would crush that ranger. He did use the motors to get him clear of the water though and shut them off right after the trailer wheels broke out of the water. 2 person operation.
I remember seeing a Jeep sitting Top deep in the water at the Port A ramp last year....the owner was just staring at it saying pretty much the same thing.....he just uses the jeep to drag it from the Stall to the boat ramp, been doing it for years...lol

Heck in that rain this weekend I had to lock up my Expedition to drag out my haynie, those ramps at Port A are slick as all get out, once you start sliding your done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.