2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
If the facts in the article are correct (lots on photos of teen & pre-tee girls playing sports, showing only from neck to knee), then I would say, yes, good arrest. If it is only a few photos like that, with a bunch of pics of his daughters team, then the arrest is silly. If the arrest is bad, the Grand Jury should throw it out. Also, if the guy has a VALID reason to take pics like that (other than the illegal reasons) then he will get his day in court to explain himself.

Pics like this can be a "grey area", and IF I though I needed photos like that, and had a good reason, I would be sure to get consent first, to avoid any "misunderstandings"

Jerry

·
Charter Member
5,925 Posts
As a sports photographer, I know for a fact it would take an expensive lens in the focal range of 300 - 500mm to shoot small kids from the neck down. I shot a high school soccer match and even at 420mm, the players had to be pretty close to get a close up like described. I haven't read anything about what the guy was using.

Maybe more info will surface and it may finally play out in court. I haven't heard of any statements from the photog saying what he was doing photographing kids in a public place just like moms and dads, aunts or uncles do all the time.

However, the stuff the police confiscated from his car does appear incriminating to say the least.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
By the letter of the law it s seems this lawyer's client's goose was cooked. I'd say (as written) the evidence in the car goes for purpose and he didn't have consent, which I would think would actually have to come from a parent.

So as a lawyer let's not make this about the client - let's make it about how wrong the law is and how our artistic expression is being stifled. I've seen plenty of artistic work here - never seen just a boring clothed torso. I've seen and shot plenty of modeled (read consent) artistic torsos - again they weren't clothed.

So nice job to the parent for calling it in. Guy might have gotten off scott free if he had mixed up his shots and not had all the XXX stuff in his car. Shamed on the lawyer for blurring a line so clear to us and shame on the shooter for making our lives miserable. Shame on that parent in the future when they call in MT or Trey for doing a job.

If you shoot regularly and don't already have business cards or old press creditials I suggest you get some and keep them with you. I've had plenty of encounters with security groups when shooting properties and 90% of the time this helps to at least get them to double check their clearance list.

Just my $.02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts