2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fish with one? I am currently testing the president series, and so far so good. I usually use a Currado, but since they changed there style, I switched mine. Thanks Guys.. though I've probably mispelled it, I'm too lazy to get up and look. Lol

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I like the President reel. I think they are a good reel at a good price if you use them in freshwater. I've worked on many and they seem to have rust problems. The clutch tube, that inserts into the anti-reverse roller bearing rusts. Every one I have ever taken apart after being near saltwater shows some sign of rust. It was the same thing with the ball bearings. They might have started using a higher grade stainless steel, but I'm not sure. I know it was a big problem when they first came out, so big they were sending us clutch tubes for free. But since I started my reel repair business in March, I haven't had one come in. Just my .02

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I ever switched from shimano to Pflueger I would buy the supreme, very nice reel and comes with stainless ball bearings. But I don't think I could ever give up my shimano reels.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i really like the presidents, really smooth, the drag did go out in mine and pflueger said send it in and they would replace it for $19(2 yrs old, 1 yr wrnty) came back this week and they sent me a brand new reel great customer service even though u have to send it to them had it back n a wk or so

·
Registered
719 Posts
like mcast i love shimano but that supreme is sweet and is actually safe for use in saltwater or atleast pfleuger says so which mean ne problems and theyll take care of it but they need one as light as my 50 mg 2 really get my attention

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,629 Posts
MattK hit it on the head. Nice reel for freshwater, but unless you are very very careful, they are not a good saltwater reel. They use a low grade SS bearing that rust easily, the clutch tube is pot metal, and a number of other parts are not SS. Bite the bullet, buy Shimano, Diawa, or ABU. JMHO.

Mike

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Thanks guys for all your replies. I have noticed a corrosion problem this evening when I decided to take it apart,,, not good. I guess I spoke too soon. I'll tell you that the old 4600 series ambassador that I have is undestructible. That real may not be the top of the line but I can bury it in the surf, pack it full of sand, come home and clean it and its good for another round!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts