2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone visited there are possibly know what side of town to stay away from? Not being rude just dont wont to get mugged.

·
Live to fish, work to live
2,330 Posts
Ah Philly

Dennis,

I have been going there on business for years. I am mainly in Center City area of downtown Philly. It's like any other big city. Watch your back especially at night.

I usually take the train from the airport to Suburban Station and walk a few blocks to the hotel unless I'm arriving at night then I catch a cab.

Dan

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
South of downtown pretty rough.
Be sure to visit the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and Constitution Center in downtown. Don't forget the market. We were there this summer for a few days. Had a great time. Lots to see and do in Downtown.
We went to South Philly to eat Cheesesteaks at Geno's and Pats. We went during the day. It was interesting in that part of town to say the least. No problems, just a little uncomfortable. I kept an eye out all the time.
We did not eat at Jim's in downtown, but have heard they have great cheesesteaks.
If you like beer, try a Yuengling Traditional Lager. I am not much of a beer drinker, but it is pretty good beer. Oldest brewery in America.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Dennis,
Us Western Pa types don't call it Filthadelphia for no reason! The city of brotherly love it ain't! Other than that, have fun...
Check out all the historic stuff but that's about all I can tell you. If you swing by western PA, give me a holler....

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Has anyone visited there are possibly know what side of town to stay away from? Not being rude just dont wont to get mugged.
Philidelphia is a great city. Walk it early in the morning. A fantastic mix of new glass office towers and hundred year old buildings. Watch the sun shine off the office towers and reflect on buildings as old as America. Grab a cup of coffee and walk towards the Constitutional Musuem and the Liberty Bell. Read the historical markers around town.

The troubling part is Philadelphia is a 'checkerboard' city. There ain't no easily identifiable good and bad sections. Their mixed in together. One blocks nice, the next crappy. As much as I love the city, one of the worst moments I experienced as an American is when they turn over the woman's homeless shelter in downtown Philly. Apparently, the residents have to leave for an hour everyday while they clean the living quarters. That block of Philly looked like a third world country as ragged looking mom's holding crying babies stood around waiting to be let back in. Hard to watch.

When you get to your hotel ask the front desk for a map and have them pick a mainstreet walking trip to the Consitiutional Museum.

·
Registered
389 Posts
No where safe

I was born in Philadelphia and got out asap. I still have relatives in the area but they've abandoned the main part of the city.My best advise is if you must visit the historic sites don't walk further than absolutely neccessary, go only during the early part of the day before the crack heads go to "work". Do NOT look at anybody on the street or the next thing you'll hear will be, "you think you know me? What you lookin at me for?" If not that I gaurantee you'll hear "hey man let me hold some money".
There are a few places relatively safe, the Italian section of south Philly, some parts of center city but not much else. Just remember one other thing, if something does happen the police in Philly are famous for using night sticks to cool out all disturbances, doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong, after everyone involved has been "pacified" that's when the explainations can begin, if you're still able to talk.
It's just a dirty, nasty city that could have been a premier tourist destination but somehow management missed the bus. Good luck.

·
Member..Whats wrong with my member
5,533 Posts
I've seen Parking Wars.

Be careful where you park your car. :eek:h:

Kelly

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
wife and I went a couple years back and had a great time. We stayed downtown at Hotel Sofitel and walked everywhere we wanted to go. We went to all the old state buildings and markets. Felt safe and we had a great time.

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
The worst place I have ever been in anywhere was in north Philly.
Four of us(good sized Texans) in a rental car. In certain parts of north Philla while stopped at stoplights, everyone would stare, and a few groups would start walking towards us in the car. This just wasn't at one light, this was at several. Now I am pretty sure we coulda handled some of them,,,,but dang sure not all of them.:eek:h:

Kinda like what Ron White said, "....I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ***, but I knew how many they were going to use."

:spineyes:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot, I will only be there 2 nights, I will travel to Edwards ville one morning then return to phila, I am staying on Christopher Columbus avenue by the Benjamin Franklin bridge. I will have inside parking at this point after reading the reviews I will not go anywhere thanks again

·
A,A&CSC,BR&TA
937 Posts
W.C. Fields tombstone says "On the whole, I would rather be in Philadelphia". Don't think I agree with that statement even given the opitions. I was in Philly last week for a funeral, my bride is from there and other than "Leo's Steaks" (as in Cheese Steaks) on West Chester Pike in Sharron Hills there is no reason to go there, be there or even think about that S**t Hole.
P.S. That's how I really feel.
EGT

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
If you do not visit the historic part of downtown you will miss out on something pretty cool. We walked all over downtown without issue.
Like I posted earlier we(me, wife and kids) were there in August and it was something that I am glad we did not miss.
We did not have any problems with anybody at anytime. We were there for 3 days. I Just felt a little uncomfortable when we went South Philly for cheesesteaks at Geno's and Pat's. But even there we did not have any problems.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Used to go on business a lot. Favorite Hotel was the Bellevue Stratford (now Park Hyatt Bellevue) and favorite restaurant was the original Bookbinders for best yankee seafood I've ever had. Travel by cab as much as possible. For many years I got up before sunrise to run a few miles and got to do it on several occasions in Philadelphia on the route that Rocky did in the movie, from city hall, round the fountains and up the steps to the Museum. At that time of morning most cities are pretty safe. I always had fun.

·
Registered
389 Posts
gangs

The worst place I have ever been in anywhere was in north Philly.
Four of us(good sized Texans) in a rental car. In certain parts of north Philla while stopped at stoplights, everyone would stare, and a few groups would start walking towards us in the car. This just wasn't at one light, this was at several. Now I am pretty sure we coulda handled some of them,,,,but dang sure not all of them.:eek:h:

Kinda like what Ron White said, "....I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ***, but I knew how many they were going to use."

:spineyes:
Phila. has always been divided up by gangs, if you're in a neighborhood and you don't look like you belong there, there's a pretty good chance somebodies going to try to beat you down just for being in the wrong place. I'm 60 years old, was born in north Philly and I'm telling you that's the way it was back then and it hasn't done anyting but get worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts