2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PhatCat planned on fishing Gunnison after stopping at Stetson Rock. We picked up our AJ's and a couple kings at the rock, along with a couple small grouper, and a red snapper. Rick was the hot hand at the Rock and landed two ling, one was around 40 inches and the other was much larger, probably close to 40 lbs. We did not see much weed on the way out, and what we saw was scattered, but there was a lone board just past the rock that had tons of chicken dolphin around it. We did not stop, with our sights on tuna but about 110 miles out of freeport the starbaord went down, so we turned around and headed in.

We were making about 7 knots so we put out some lures and picked up a 25lb wahoo. We stopped at a rig to take a break and fish for a while on the way in, and we caught ~25 glasseye snapper along with a couple vermillion snapper. Rick also tied into a big fish that was giving him a good fight. As the fish got closer to the boat, Rick slipped and went 3/4's overboard. I had him by the leg right away and TJ was there a half second later to grab Ricks belt. Well after all of that, it turned out to be a big shark.

We trolled for a while in the morning and only wound up dragging a bonita half way across the gulf. We made it back in around 1:00 got the boat and fish cleaned and got the boat to the shop before they closed. We wound up with a decent box of fish and had a fun time despite the diffuculties. Thanks for the fun trip Rick, looking forward to the next time.

Mark

·
Registered
678 Posts
long ride in

well i feel the pain you guys had. sorry about the problems. we've come in on one motor from 50, 60, and 70 miles. long way at 7 to 9 knots. been there, done that. nice to have two motors!!!! hope the damage is under warrenty.

bone

·
Registered
956 Posts
Glad you guys got in and managed to have a great time despite the difficulties. Rick, the sooner you get the boat up, the better. The Phat Cat fishing reports always make my day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry about your motor. I remember when we had a 25' single engine. It sucks breaking down and having no motors when your 35 miles out. At least you got some good fish.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Rick

Thank you sir for the invite,I always enjoy fishing with a salty crew.Despite the misfortune with the engine we still managed a nice box of fish.Paddler,TJ it was nice to meet you guys and look forward to fishing with you again.Rick,I hope the Phat Cat has a speedy recovery and again thank you for a fun,safe trip.

P.S. The next time you strap in to that 50 you might consider a tether line to the boat.That was the closest I have ever seen anybody almost get pulled over.

Keep it fun,Capt.Cook

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
I dont guess anyone caught that on video??? That little clip might be worth some Mula$$. Glad you guys got out caught some fish and made it home safe. Does the phatcat have the 225 hondas?
Adios,
Bret

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
Glad you guys made it back safe!

It is a great crew that saves its captain. Be careful Rick, you don't want to become part of the food chain!

I hope you get her back in the water soon.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Rick,

Sure hated seeing the report about your motor and hope it is nothing major and you'll be back on the water in no time!

Despite the problems, you guys seemed to still have a good trip (as always)! Looking forward to pics!

Again, good luck on the motor. Let's hope it is only minor!

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
Thanks for the report Paddler.
Gives encouragement to those of us who are still trying to get out!
Rick, Hope all goes well at the shop! Thank goodness for warranties.

Glad y'all got a box of fish safely.

I don't know about the appology for the slow speed however, that's my speed to much of the time anyway! LOL

Glad you are in safe!
Mike

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i guess i out to start posting under captain breakdown. that makes 4 trips in from over 100 miles and one from 50 miles on one engine in the past 2 years. thanks to my crew for their patience and help in filling the cooler with fish. it is always great to be offshore with good fishermen....rick

·
Registered
579 Posts
Glad you guys got back in safely and caught some fish in the process. Hope the Phat Cat is running good soon again.

Earl

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Engine Diagnosis

Sorry to hear about the streak of bad boat luck. Fortunately, you had a second engine to get you back to the dock. My last trip on the Gulf in a single engine 25 footer resulted in a long drift and tow-in from North Baker........I guess this is why we spend all the extra money for a second outboard on the transom.
My 27' Grady FINALLY arrived last Thursday and is currently at Tops&Towers getting some new aluminum "additions". Should be mounting the Honda 225's on her within the next two weeks.
After three dud Yamahas in a row (the last two being four strokes), I thought I would try my luck with the Honda power. Based on what I am hearing, it doesn't appear to make much difference.........I guess it is just part of the experience.......

I would be curious to know what failed on your starboard engine when you determine root cause?

Glad you made it back in safe,
Islander

·
Just one More
1,742 Posts
Glad to see you made it back safely and with a catch. I've done the same from 52 miles out. The port motor would not start and it was a 13 cent E-clip that feel off the starter shaft. I hope you repair will be as easy to fix.

·
I don't Exaggerate I just rememeber BIG!
234 Posts
Bad Karma

Rick,

Sorry to hear about the engines problems......

If I recall correctly, didn't you have CaptnC on your boat last time out!

I think it is his bad karma, you know what is happening when he gets around boats! (LMAO)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ric, sorry to here the bad news, but good news is you got back and had that spare engine. Can you plane on one? I am able to run my 26' GB on 1 at 20mph running about 4300 rpm's.

We made it out Saturday to Clay piles, caught a couple of decent snappers, and a lot of AJ's(only kept 3), lost a nice ling at the boat. Seas were a tight 2' early and maybe 3' in the afternoon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts