2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to offshore fishing to say the least but have heard of people having to have permits for certain kinds of fish like tuna. Do rec fishermen going out after kingfish have to have any special permits or any special safety stuff on the boat to be legal?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about any special safety stuff on boat. Have the basics but do you have to have flairs and such. Someone told me something about a bilge pump. Have one but does the bilge have to be a certain size or were they full of it?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
badfisher said:
I am new to offshore fishing to say the least but have heard of people having to have permits for certain kinds of fish like tuna. Do rec fishermen going out after kingfish have to have any special permits or any special safety stuff on the boat to be legal?
Don't need any for kingfish.

If you are going to fish for billfish, swordfish, Bluefin, yellowfin, bigeye or skipjack tuna, or sharks except atlantic sharpnose and bonnethead you need a Highly Migratory Species Permit (general) available through NMFS Permit shop.

most of their online regulation brochures are in PDF format so I can't give you a direct link, but go here http://www.nmfspermits.com/library.asp and you can find more info. I don't know of any safety gear requirements above standard USCG requirements but if you fish with certain types of gear (which you probably won't) you need approved equipment and trained crew to release caught sea turtles.

·
insert catchy phrase here
89 Posts
Please excuse the ignorance, but I was under the impression that I could keep any shark over 34", 1 per day. Do these rules only apply to international waters, 'cause if not, "this guy I know" might have done something wrong.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
elcoyote said:
Please excuse the ignorance, but I was under the impression that I could keep any shark over 34", 1 per day. Do these rules only apply to international waters, 'cause if not, "this guy I know" might have done something wrong.
One per day, over 24 inches, state waters, any species. Here is the link:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/limits_saltwater/

If you want to fish in Federal Waters, get the permit as mentioned above.

If you do a little research on shark reproduction and the god-awful kill rates, you probably will not keep another one. We need them in the water, not in a cooler.

Ling eat better.....:D

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.